School of Trades and Technology Menu
Instrumentation and Control Technician
As an instrumentation and control technician (formerly known as an industrial instrument mechanic) you’ll build, calibrate, commission, program and maintain industrial control systems. Positions are needed in virtually all industrial enterprises, where you’ll be responsible for installing instruments to monitor various process parameters like temperature, pressure and flow—used by a programmed controller to command final control elements, such as valves and motors, to meet process specifications.
Instrumentation and Control Technician Foundation Program
What you'll learn
- How to program Programmable Logic Controllers (industrial computers) using Ladder Logic and Instruction List programming languages.
- How to develop and build industrial control circuits.
- How to disassemble, repair and rebuild valves, regulators, actuators and other components; and calibrate various instruments.
What makes TRU’s program unique
- New facilities in TRU’s Industrial Training and Technology Centre including an electrical and electronics lab, calibration and valve lab, programming lab, and process control lab fitted with a full-class set of sophisticated Pignat process-control trainers.
- Access to a unique collection of real and functional processes, including a multi-fuel power plant with DeltaV DCS, a pilot water treatment facility with SCADA and a waste water treatment facility.
- Because facilities and equipment are new and state-of-the-art, students learn and train on equipment actually used in the field.
What you'll graduate with
- Instrumentation and Control Technician Foundation Certificate of Completion
- The in-school technical training for apprenticeship level 1
- 325 hours of work-based training towards apprenticeship
- Grade 12 graduation or equivalent
- English 12
- Mathematics 11 with good Algebra skills (equivalent to Applications of Math 11 or Principles of Math 11)
- Strongly recommended Physics 11 with a C+ or better (67%)
- Placement on the Entry Assessment Test for English at an 060 level
- Placement on the Entry Assessment Test for Math at an 060 level
- Students are required to supply their own approved safety glasses and boots
Instumentation and Control Technician
Apprenticeship provides Instrumentation and Control Technician certification through work-based training and in-school technical training. Employers sponsor students for the work-based training and TRU offers the in-school technical training for levels 1, 2, 3 and 4 of your apprenticeship.
Each level consists of 10 weeks of on-campus training. Once you’ve completed all four levels and the required work-based hours, you’ll receive an Instrumentation and Control Technician Certificate of Apprenticeship and qualify to write the interprovincial Red Seal exam for your Certificate of Qualification.
The in-school technical training costs are based on the number of weeks you need, with each apprenticeship level requiring 10 weeks. Contact us for more rates.
- 1 week: $121.92
- 10 weeks: $1,252.73
- 20 weeks: $2,446.13
- Sponsored by an employer registered by the Industry Training Authority (ITA)
- Must be in good physical health
Apprenticeship training dates
|I-MECH - Level 1||tba||Kamloops|
|I-MECH - Level 2||Feb 01, 2021||Apr 09, 2021||Kamloops|
|I-MECH - Level 3||Mar 16, 2020||May 22, 2020||Kamloops|
|I-MECH - Level 4||Sep 28, 2020||Dec 04, 2020||Kamloops|
for this apprenticeship course
Costs for Instrumentation and Control Technician programs
Fees are based on 2019 rates and are subject to change.
Costs include items such as student/ancillary fees, books, personal tools and safety gear, which are kept by students when they graduate from the program.
|Accuplacer exam fee||$37|
|Parking (student parking website)||$2.50 (pass) Motorcyle
$5 per day
|Student and lab fees||$700.00|
|Learning guides and/or textbooks||$352.00|
|Tool box with hand tools||$400.00|
|CSA work boots, clear safety glasses||$150.00|
|Scientific calculator (non-programmable)||$30.00|
|3-ring binder, paper, pens, etc.||$50.00|