Industrial Mechanic (Millwright)
Millwrights install, repair, overhaul and maintain machinery and heavy mechanical equipment, such as conveyor systems in diverse settings including repair shops, plants, construction sites, mines, logging operations, ski hills and most production and manufacturing facilities. Millwrights also perform routine maintenance activities, such as cleaning and lubricating equipment, adjusting valves and seals, and investigating breakdowns.
This program is designed to take a student with little or no experience in the industrial mechanic (millwright) field and give them the necessary skills for employment as an apprentice in the trade. The program is delivered at Norkam Secondary School.
Course length: approximately 24 weeks
- Completion of Grade 10 with Grade 10 Math and English (Grade 12 with Grade 11 Math, Physics and English recommended)
- Acceptable score on Entry Assessment Test
- Preferred Grade 12
- Good health
- Mechanical aptitude
- Must have safety boots and glasses
- Must supply and launder your own coveralls
- Must purchase welding gloves and welding hat