Academic Integrity Committee
Academic Dishonesty Reporting Procedure
The following describes the procedure to be followed when academic dishonesty is suspected:
The Case Report Form (Open Learning Case Report Form) outlines the various steps that should be taken when a case of academic dishonesty is suspected. The process is designed to ensure that:
- students learn that integrity is both expected and respected; and
- student rights are considered when academic integrity issues arise.
All students who engage in any form of academic dishonesty should be identified to the Academic Integrity Committee. This allows the committee to maintain records so that:
- repeat offences are penalized differently from first-time cases; and
- integrity issues can be treated appropriately (e.g., with education programs for students and faculty geared to the frequency and type of cases.)
To simplify processing of a case, the committee suggests that instructors use the Case Report Form.
Terms of Reference
The purpose of the Academic Integrity Committee is to:
- review the Academic Integrity Policy and make recommendations for change
- to administer the Academic Integrity Policy by making decisions on cases which have been referred to the committee
- to review cases as necessary
- to provide reports to VP Academic and the Office of Student Affairs at the end of September, January and May. These reports will be anonymous and are to be used to provide the institution with an overall picture of Academic Integrity at TRU.
- to provide education to faculty, staff and administration regarding the implementation of the Academic Integrity Policy.
Terms of Appointment
Faculty Members/Dean/DSD Representative:
The Term of Appointment for all but student members will be two years. All members have the option to renew the term with constituent approval.
Students' term of appointment will be for one year only with the option to renew the term one time.
Ex Officio Member:
Office of Student Affairs representative will be an on-going appointment.
All cases are to remain confidential. The Secretary will retain all records and will provide related information only to those persons in places of authority at TRU (President, Vice-Presidents, Registrar). Members who are unable to provide secure storage of their files may request that the Secretary maintain their files between meetings.
Fifty percent plus one members are required to achieve quorum.
Any member may be granted a leave of absence for up to three consecutive ordinary meetings of the Council. Any absence without leave for three consecutive meetings shall result in a declaration of vacancy by the Vice-Chair.
· Faculty members are elected by their respective Faculty Councils;
· The representative for TRU World is nominated by the Associate Vice President International and Chief Executive Officer TRU World Global Operations;
· The representative for TRU Library is nominated by the University Librarian;
· OL members are nominated by the Program Director for OL; and
· Student members are nominated by TRUSU.
|Three Undergraduate students|
|One Graduate student|
|One Faculty of Science faculty member|
|One Faculty of Arts faculty member|
|One Faculty of Adventure, Culinary Arts & Tourism faculty member|
|One Faculty of Human, Social and Educational Development faculty member|
|One Faculty of Law faculty member|
|One School of Business & Economics faculty member|
|One School of Trades & Technology faculty member|
|One School of Nursing faculty member|
|One Division of Student Development faculty member|
|One Open Learning faculty member (OLFM)|
|One Open Learning non-faculty member|
|One TRU World Representative|
|One University Library Representative|
|One Ex Officio Student Affairs Officer|
|One secretary provided by the Vice-President, Student Affairs Office (To maintain records, minutes, database and other such files). The secretary will set up all meetings and related duties.|
|Chair||Elizabeth Rennie||On going|
|Vice-Chair||Wayne Singular||On going|
|Student||Inderpreet Bains||September 2018|
|Student||Emily Flegel||September 2018|
|Student||Vishal Arora||September 2018|
|Graduate Student||Emmanuel Daramola||September 2018|
|Faculty of Science - Faculty Member||Nancy Flood||September 2017|
|Faculty of Arts - Faculty Member||Wilson Bell||May 2019|
|Faculty of Advenure, Culinary Arts & Tourism - Faculty Member||Terry Palechuk||November 2017|
|Faculty of Education and Social Work - Faculty Member||Eric Villeneuve||December 2018|
|Faculty of Law - Faculty Member||Ryan Gauthier||September 2020|
|School of Business & Economics - Faculty Member||Wayne Singular||January 2019|
|School of Trades & Technology - Faculty Member||Jason Dabner||June 2017|
|School of Nursing - Faculty Member||Andrea Sullivan||September 2020|
|Division of Student Development - Faculty Member||Chelsea Corsi||September 2019|
|Open Learning - Faculty Member||Amy Tucker||March 2018|
|Open Learning - Non-Faculty Member||Sarah Langlois||November 2017|
|TRU World Representative||Reuben Onyango||September 2019|
|University Library Representative||Elizabeth Rennie||October 2019|
|Ex Officio Student Affairs Officer||Evan Hilchey||Ongoing|
Forms, Policies & Documents
Please send questions or comments about this page or its contents to Lora Sartori - AIC Recording Secretary