Open Learning Writing Support
For open learning students, we offer support either online or in person:
- In person: To meet with a tutor on TRU’s Kamloops campus, please register and book an appointment on the Writing Centre’s website click here. We’re located in Room 2674, Old Main Building, 805 TRU Way, Kamloops, BC.
- Online: WriteAway connects TRU OL students with qualified tutors from participating institutions across BC. The tutors provide online writing assistance and feedback on students' draft writing assignments.
WriteAway is a free online tutoring service that can help you with any stage of the writing process:
- Understanding assignment requirements.
- Tips on brainstorming and idea generation.
- Feedback on organization, sentence structure, grammar, and punctuation.
- Resources for academic citations and avoiding plagiarism.
- Strategies for effective revision.
Please note: WriteAway is for TRU Open Learning Students only.
- Sept. 18 - Dec. 6 (WriteAway)
- Jan. 15 - Apr. 9 (WriteAway)
When WriteAway is closed, and if you are an open learning student, we have an online tutor scheduled.
- Dec. 10 - Jan. 13 (WCOnline)
- Please go to: http://www.tru.ca/writingcentre and click "Register for the Writing Centre Online."
- Login at: https://tru.mywconline.com and select the "Open Learning" schedule.
- Make an appointment by clicking on a white box.
- Fill in the required fields and click SAVE APPOINTMENT.
- After you make an appointment, click "ATTACH FILE", and upload a maximum of two files (a copy of your assignment and what you have written) before the appointment start time. If you do not upload a file, the appointment will be marked as a no-show.
- Also include a detailed description of what you’d like help with at the top of your paper, i.e., specific questions, or the areas you’d like our tutor to pay close attention to.
- Online appointments are asynchronous. Your paper will be re-uploaded by 11 p.m. the same day. When you receive an e-mail notification, sign in to your account and click on your appointment to access the tutor's feedback.
- Please note: The tutor is scheduled for 45 minutes, and may not have time to review all aspects of your assignment.
If you have any other questions, please email: email@example.com
Here's how it works:
- Log in to eTutoring here. If it is your first time using the service, create an account by clicking on the 'Need an account?' link.
- Once you have logged in to eTutoring, from your home page you can either send an eQuestion (a quick question about writing or grammar), or you can upload a draft writing assignment for feedback by clicking on the eWriting Lab link.
- A tutor at any of the participating institutions will read your writing assignment, provide written guidance, and upload their response to the eTutoring platform. You can submit up to three drafts of any paper.
- An email notification will be sent to you letting you know that feedback on your draft writing assignment is ready to be picked up from the system.