Open Learning Writing Support
For TRU Open Learning students, we offer free tutoring support, either in person or online:
- In person (face to face): Please register and book an appointment. We’re located in HOL 104, 805 TRU Way, Kamloops, BC. Tel. 250-371-5689.
- Online: You can receive asynchronous feedback from an online tutor (usually within 48 hours) by uploading your draft writing assignment. We have two online tutoring services: WriteAway and WCOnline.
WriteAway can help you with any stage of the writing process:
- Understanding assignment requirements.
- Tips on brainstorming and idea generation.
- Feedback on any aspect of your assignment, e.g., clarity, style/tone, sentence structure, citations, grammar and punctuation.
- Links to online resources.
- Strategies for effective revision.
Please note: WriteAway is only available for TRU Open Learning Students enrolled in an Undergraduate course.
- Jan. 14 to Apr. 11, 2019
- Log in to eTutoring here.
- Once you have logged in to eTutoring, from your home page you can either send an eQuestion (a quick question about writing or grammar), or you can upload a draft writing assignment for feedback by clicking on the eWriting Lab link.
- An online tutor will read your writing assignment, provide written guidance, and upload their response to the eTutoring platform, usually within 48 hours. You can submit up to three drafts of any paper.
- An email notification will be sent to you letting you know that feedback on your draft writing assignment is ready to be downloaded from the system.
When WriteAway is closed, you can receive feedback from an online tutor through WCOnline.
You can make one appointment per week.
- Dec. 10, 2018 - Jan. 12, 2019
- Go to: http://www.tru.ca/writingcentre and click "Register for the Writing Centre Online."
- Login at: https://tru.mywconline.com
- Select the "Open Learning..." schedule.
- Make an appointment by clicking on a white box.
- Fill in the required fields and click SAVE APPOINTMENT.
- After you make an appointment, click the yellow folder icon beside the HELP? button (below the WELCOME menu), and upload a maximum of two files (a copy of your assignment and what you have written) before the appointment start time.
- Please note: The file with your writing must be in Microsoft Word format (.doc or .docx). Maximum file size: 1 MB.
- If a student does not not upload a file, the appointment will be marked as a no-show, and their account will be disabled for one week. If a student has two no-show appointments, their account will be disabled for two weeks.
- Also include a detailed description of what you’d like help with at the top of your paper, i.e., specific questions, or the areas you’d like our tutor to pay close attention to.
- Online appointments are asynchronous. Your paper will be re-uploaded by 11 p.m. the same day. When you receive an e-mail notification, sign in to your account and click on your appointment to access the tutor's feedback.
- Please note: The tutor is scheduled for 45 minutes, and may not have time to review all aspects of your assignment.
- If you need to cancel an appointment, please do so at least 24 hours in advance.
If you have any other questions, please email: email@example.com