Master of Education (MEd)
Whether you are a certified teacher wanting to expand your teaching career options or have an undergraduate degree in a different field, you can get ahead with a master’s degree in education!
Choose from three program completions (thesis, project or capstone) and take up to five years to complete all degree requirements.Take either on-campus or online (Open Learning) courses. Also, if you are a domestic student, you can choose part- or full-time study. However, If you are an international student, you must take three courses per term to maintain your full-time status.
MEd instructors are drawn from a range of professional fields, supporting several areas of study: educational leadership, curriculum, counselling, and inclusive and special education.
Experiential learning is at the heart of our MEd program. You participate in classroom discussions and readings, guided inquiry, and independent study. Analyzing information, utilizing data in professional settings and exploring various methods of research presentation are all key components of the program.
The MEd has been designed for maximum choice by students. As such, there are no streams, majors, minors, or specialisms in the TRU MEd. After completing the core courses, students select from across the elective courses.
See the Open Learning MEd page.
Three Possible Routes to Your MEd Degree
Route 1: GCES Entry
Start with a Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies (GCES).
- GPA 2.50 on a 4-point scale
- Four-year undergraduate degre from an accredited institution
- English language proficiency, with an IELTS score of 5.5 or higher, or completion of ESL Level 4
Route 2: Direct Entry
Take direct entry.
- GPA 3.00 on a 4-point scale
- Four-year undergraduate degree from an accredited institution
- English language proficiency, with an IELTS score of 6.5 or higher, or ToEFL or equivalent, or completion of ESL Level 5
Route 3: Courses Entry
Take up to seven online (Open Learning) MEd courses as a non-program student.
- All admission requirements for direct entry
- Up to seven online courses