Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

Bachelor of Tourism Management

The Bachelor of Tourism Management program is designed for graduates of recognized two-year diploma programs in tourism management, hospitality administration and outdoor recreation, and for those who have completed related programs and have similar educational backgrounds. Industry experience is assumed. The degree forms an integral part of the BC Tourism Learning System. Two-year diploma programs vary in their composition but generally satisfy most core or foundation course and elective requirements.

General education requirements can be taken before or after completion of the diploma program. Upper-level tourism courses should be taken last.

Certain courses may be available only by distance once a year and Hospitality Administration stream courses may not be available by distance.

 Program Requirements

Admission Requirements

Graduation from a recognized two-year tourism/ hospitality program, with a grade point average (GPA) of 2.67 or higher, for the maximum block transfer toward the degree

If you have not completed a tourism or hospitality diploma, a minimum of 60 credits of directly applicable coursework, preferably including core business and tourism or hospitality foundation courses

Students who plan to complete a credential through TRU-OL must complete and submit a Program Admission form.

Residency Requirements

A minimum of 15 TRU credits (distance or on-campus)

Degree Requirements

120 credits total, including 45 at the upper-level, with a grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 or higher over all courses taken outside the block transfer, as follows:

General Education Requirements (21 credits)

These may be met with lower- or upper-level university courses.

6 credits in English (university-level composition and literature); (may be ENGL 1001, or ENGL 1021 and ENGL 1011, or ENGL 1031)
3 credits in statistics (may be STAT 1201)
3 credits in humanities (other than English)
3 credits in introductory economics (may be ECON 1221 or ECON 1901)
3 credits in approved geography (human, cultural or regional geography relevant to tourism; may be GEOG 1191)
3 credits in natural science
Core Business and Tourism/Hospitality Requirements (30–33 credits)

These are typically part of approved diploma programs.

Choose either the Tourism Management or the Hospitality Administration stream.

Tourism Management Stream

At least one course from six of the following seven areas. Suggested courses are in parentheses after each area name:

Accounting (BBUS 2211)
Management information systems (BBUS 1371)
Marketing (BBUS 3431)
Introduction to entrepreneurship I
Business communication (CMNS 1291 or BBUS 3631)
Human resource management (BBUS 3811)
Organizational behaviour (BBUS 2721)

At least one course from four of the following five subject areas:

Introduction to tourism (CONV 1011)
Tourism business law (BBUS 3931)
Co-op or practicum (may be completed through PLAR)
Community and cultural issues (CONV 1031)
Environmental stewardship (ENVS 3991)

Hospitality Administration Stream

At least one course from each of the following 11 areas. Suggested courses are in parentheses after each area name:

Accounting (BBUS 2211)
Management Information systems (BBUS 1371)
Marketing (BBUS 3431)
Hospitality marketing
Co-op or practicum (may be completed through PLAR)
Business communication (CMNS 1871, CMNS 1291 or BBUS 3631)
Human resource management (BBUS 3811)
Organizational behaviour (BBUS 2721)
Food and beverage service
Hospitality law (CONV 1051)

Upper-Level Requirements (24 credits)

At least one course from each of the following eight areas. Suggested courses are in parentheses:

Tourism policy and planning (TRMT 470 from Vancouver Island University)
Financial management for tourism (FNCE 2121)
Entrepreneurship II (BBUS 4751)
Community and cultural issues (MNGT 3711)
People management and human relations (BBUS 3661)
Organizational leadership (BBUS 4833)
Advanced communication (BBUS 3631)
Graduating seminar

Upper-Level Tourism or Hospitality Stream Requirements (15 credits)

One course from one of the following four areas:

Marketing research (MKTG 3481)
Promotions management (MKTG 4481, Integrated Marketing Communications)
Consumer behaviour (BBUS 3471)
International tourism marketing (BBUS 4471 or Vancouver Island University's TRMT 368)

In addition:

Four additional upper-level tourism, hospitality, or closely related specialty courses approved by OL (refer to the above four areas and the 3000- and 4000-level courses listed next)

Other Elective Requirements (27-30 credits)

Generally, most or all of these are met through block transfer from recognized tourism management or hospitality administration diploma programs.

Electives available by distance education may include but are not limited to the following:

OL Courses

BBUS 2541, Management Accounting (recommended)
BBUS 4541, International Business
MNGT 3711, Business Ethics and Society
CONV 1021, Introduction to Special Events Management
CONV 1041, Event Volunteer Management
CONV 1051, Legal Liability and Risk Management
CONV 1061, Event Marketing
HART 4839, Museum Principles and Practices II: Programming, Exhibitions, and Management
HART 4869, Museum Principles and Practices I: Communities, Curatorship, and Collections
HART 4879, Heritage Resource Management
MATH 1091, Business Mathematics (recommended)

Vancouver Island University Courses

TRMT 359, Management of Parks and Protected Areas
TRMT 390B, Special Topics: Seniors
TRMT 430, Resort Management
TRMT 450, Volunteer Management
TRMT 475, Lifestyle Management


Various tourism and hospitality courses are also offered to part-time students via distance delivery through other BC post-secondary institutions, including Capilano University (; 604.984.4960) and Vancouver Island University (; 250.740.6396).

Student Responsibility

Consult with your Program Advisor to ensure that the courses you select can be applied toward the program requirements of your chosen credential.

Also, before you register in a course not listed on the OL website, you must apply for a Letter of Permission (LOP).

If you proceed otherwise, you may find either that course credits cannot be applied to your program or you must pay a transcript reassessment fee.


Please see Tuition and Fees for details.


Email Student Services or call us for more about this program or any other Open Learning program.