Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

Transition Courses: Health

Transition courses in health care are suitable for you, a nationally or internationally educated health professional or a student entering or participating in entry-level health programs.

As a nationally educated health care professional, you may choose these courses to support a transition in your professional practice or to receive credit toward a post-diploma undergraduate degree program. As an internationally educated health care professional, you may choose some of these courses to support your Canadian licensure.

As a student in an entry-level health program, you may opt for the theory courses as an elective or find a course suitable for transfer credit toward a course in your program of study.

English Language Requirement

If you are an internationally educated nurse whose first language is not English, you must provide evidence of English proficiency by passing the Canadian English Language Benchmark Assessment for Nurses (CELBAN) at the level required by the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).


BIOL 1593, Anatomy and Physiology I (3)
BIOL 1693, Anatomy and Physiology II (3)
HLTH 1981, Medical Terminology (3)
HLTH 2501, Pathophysiology (4)
HLTH 2511, Introduction to Pharmacology (3)
HLTH 2573, Arterial Blood Gases (3)
HLTH 3101, Client-Directed Care Management (3)
HLTH 4011, Issues in Health Care (3)
HLTH 4021, Health Policy (3)
OCHS 3511, Occupational Health and Safety Legislation and Standards (3)
RSMT 3501, Introduction to Research Methods (3)

Also, see the Pre-Health Science Certificate, which provides general educational breadth and specific health related content required or recommended for entry into many health care programs.

Consult with your Program Advisor to ensure that the courses you select are appropriate for your program of study and educational goals. If you proceed otherwise, you may find that a course does not meet program requirements and its credits may not applied toward your chosen credential, or you may be required to pay an additional transcript assessment fee.


Contact Student Services for more about these transition courses or to discuss any of Open Learning's courses or programs.