Engineering Co-op Students
During the Engineering Transfer program, students are preparing for a degree in biological, biomedical, civil, chemical, computer, electrical, environmental, geological, geo-technical, integrated, materials, mechanical, mining, software, engineering physics, and other engineering specialties at UBC or UVic.
Engineering Co-op students are ready for positions that utilize their:
- Analytical abilities
- Conceptualization and design skills
- Project management capabilities
- Organization skills
- Information management
- Creativity and imagination
- Strong mathematics, science and computer abilities
Engineering Co-op students are ready for positions in:
- Alternative Energy Plants
- Computer/Hi-Tech Companies
- Construction Firms
- Crime Laboratories
- Government Departments and Agencies
- Game Design
- Fibre and Laser Electro-Optics
- Security Services
- Data Processing
- Business Administration and Management
- Electrical Engineering Electronics, Electrical Services
- International Development
- Mining and Oil Companies
- Non-governmental, Non-profit Organizations
- Research Institutes
- Sales and Management
- Utilities Companies
Our Co-op Education Partners:
We have had great success with our co-op program and many local and regional employers are partners in the education of our co-op students. We work with companies and organizations such as: Tolko Industries Ltd, Scorpion Technologies, Skytrac, Telus, West Fraser, Blackberry and many more, all while more partnerships are being developed.
The employer partners see the benefits of hiring co-op students because it provides them with the chance to bridge-in talent before students graduate, to brand themselves as an employer of choice, to get short-term support for special projects, and to build additional relationships with the university.
Typically students are available for 4, 8 and 12 month work terms beginning in May, September and January each year. The current average wage for Computer, Electrical and Software Engineering Co-op jobs is between $15 - $30 per hour or more depending on the industry.
For more information, please contact our Engineering Co-op Coordinator.