Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

International Student Employment Options

Students have six options for employment if you are an international student or graduate looking for employment in Canada:

  • Students: Off-Campus Work Permit Program

    International students may qualify to work off campus without a work permit it they meet the eligibility requirements. The Canadian Government outlines the regulations for international students wishing to work off-campus through the Off-Campus Work Permit Program.

    If eligible, students can work up to 20 hours per week during the year and full-time during school breaks. To qualify, you must:

    • Have a valid study permit
    • Be a full time student
    • Be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months long


    It is the student's responsibility to show the employer proof of a:

    • Social Insurance Number (SIN): Students must show their SIN card before being hired. However, they can also show proof of application for the card within 3 days of beginning employment, and can work during the waiting period.

    Students must stop working on the day they no longer meet the above eligibility requirements (e.g. if they are no longer a full-time student during an academic session).

  • Students: Co-op/Internship

    International students wishing to take part in the co-op program or internship must meet the eligibility requirements. The TRU Career Education Department will assist in facilitating the relationship between employers and co-op students as well as ensuring that students have obtained their Social Insurance Number and Study Permit.

    For current requirements by the Government of Canada, visit Work as a Co-op Student or Intern.

  • Students: Work on Campus

    Working on campus is an opportunity available for all students and international students do not require a work permit to work on campus if they meet the eligibility requirements. TRU offers many areas of employment to students. Check out the different ways to Work On Campus.

  • Graduates: BC Provincial Nominee Program

    The BC Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) offers an economic immigration pathway for in demand foreign workers and experienced entrepreneurs who can contribute economically to the province. Individuals nominated by the BC PNP are eligible to apply to Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada for permanent residence for themselves and their dependents.

    For more information about the program and requirements, visit BC Provincial Nominee Program.

  • Graduates: Post-Grad Employment Program

    Graduate students can apply for a post-graduation work permit which helps them to qualify for permanent residence in Canada through Express Entry. Graduates can work for up to 3 years after graduation in any field.

    For a full list of requirements and more information, please visit Post-Grad Employment Program.

  • Graduates: Canadian Experience Class

    Graduate students can apply for a post-graduation work permit which helps them to qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Express Entry application program. Eligibility is based on work experience, education, language ability and others.

    To meet the minimum qualifying requirements, you must:

    • Have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply
    • Have gained your experience in Canada with the proper authorization
    • Meet the required language levels needed for your job in each language ability (speaking, reading, writing and listening)


    For more information, visit Canadian Experience Class.


For assistance with these programs, meet with us today. Book appointments online through Career Connections.