TRU Supporting Wildfire Evacuees » More info
Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University



Program Level
Associate of Science Univ
Bachelor of Science, General Univ
Bachelor of Science, Major Univ
Do you have a diploma but want more?

See how you can use some or all of your diploma credits toward your degree.

See more
Does a degree seem a long way off?

You can earn an Associate of Science degree on your way to a bachelor's degree or as an independent credential.

See more

When you are admitted to a program, you are assigned a TRU-OL program advisor who will answer your questions and provide you with a program plan to guide you through your studies.

Students who plan to complete a TRU credential through Open Learning must complete and submit a Program Admission form.

English Proficiency Requirement

Applicants must have a proficiency in English at a level suitable to the course or program of study for which they are applying. Students who have English as a second language may be required to provide evidence of proficiency in English. Refer to detailed information about the English proficiency requirement.

Admission Requirements

Most Science programs have open admissions, but there are some exceptions. Refer to the requirements of the program in which you are interested.

Residency Requirements

Program residency requirements means that before a student can receive a credential from a particular institution (such as TRU), they must complete either a predetermined number of that institution's credits or else a certain percentage of the program through the institution that will be awarding the credential. The number of credits or percentage of the program is specific to a post-secondary institution but can be as high as 50% of a total program (60 credits out of 120 credits) for an undergraduate degree.

TRU-OL's program residency requirements can be met by:

  1. Taking courses with TRU (either on campus or at a distance)
  2. Taking courses with TRU's consortium partners: the University of Victoria and Simon Fraser University
  3. Acquiring credit through Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)

Financial Assistance

Students applying for financial assistance must meet specific residency requirements, which differ from program residency requirements. See the Student Awards & Financial Support page for full information.

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)

PLAR allows a student to earn academic credits for knowledge, training and skills gained through work and life experience.

Students who have applied for or been admitted to a TRU-OL Science program may be eligible for credit based on an assessment of their non-formal or prior learning. There is generally no limit on the amount of PLAR that can be credited to TRU-OL programs in which PLAR applies. However, note that PLAR credit awarded by TRU-OL toward a TRU credential may not be transferrable to other post-secondary institutions.

TRU-OL accepts PLAR credit from all BC post-secondary institutions that have formally adopted the recommended BC provincial standards.

PLAR Contacts

For more about PLAR and how to apply, refer to the PLAR policies pages.

Email PLAR Advising.

Call toll-free: 1.800.663.9711 (Kamloops and International) or call 250.852.7000.

Academic Advising

Academic Advising for Arts and Sciences

Directed Studies

Directed Studies is the concentrated study of a topic in the discipline of a student’s major, chosen in consultation with an Open Learning Faculty Member.

  • Directed studies are open to students who have fulfilled all of the general education requirements and lower-level requirements of the major including a minimum of 15 credits of upper-level courses in the subject of their major.
  • Registration procedures differ for Directed Studies courses and as such, students are required to consult with their program advisor before registering.
  • In the Bachelor of Science, Major Program, the Directed Studies course is offered in biology.