Become a Tutor
Do you like writing and helping others?
Do people turn to you for advice about writing?
Do you want to learn more about writing and tutoring?
If so, becoming a Writing Centre tutor is right for you!
Being a tutor helps you to:
- support and help other students
- develop your writing skills
- enhance your tutoring and teaching skills
- reflect about writing, learning, and teaching
- improve your leadership and communication skills
- obtain experience that can be put on a resumé.
There are several types of opportunities for students in the Writing Centre: work study, honorarium, and volunteering. To apply for the work study, you need to be eligible and register for the Work Study Program.
To become a tutor, you need to:
- have achieved at least a 3.33 GPA in your writing courses
- provide a sample of your writing and a resumé
- be committed to show up on time for your shifts with a positive attitude
- show an eagerness to learn and develop your tutoring and writing skills
- attend tutor training sessions and reflect on your tutoring practice
- have good interpersonal and critical thinking skills.
If you are interested in becoming a peer tutor, please contact the Writing Centre by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, calling 250-371-5689 or dropping by HL 104.