English as a Second Language (ESL)
English Language Programs and U-PrepTRU is a leader in “English as a Secondary Language” (ESL) and “University Preparation” (U-Prep). Our ESL program is designed to provide specific and appropriate language training for students who plan to proceed to post-secondary study, focussing on English for academic purposes. Our students come from around the world, and we look forward to meeting you!
The TRU Advantage
- English Placement Test (EPT) is available upon arrival
- IELTS and TOEFL scores are accepted
- Academic ESL designed for university preparation
- Can combine ESL and Academic courses for credit in Levels 4 and 5
- 20 hours of classroom instruction per week
- Language labs and activities
- Access to Leisure Exploration Activity Program (LEAP)
Each of the five levels of TRU’s ESL Program take one semester to complete. Students with no official test score will take an English Placement Test (EPT) upon arrival at TRU and will be placed in the appropriate level of English language study as indicated in the chart to the right. If a student has an official test score they may choose to enter ESL or academic courses without taking the TRU English Placement Test. Please refer to chart.
Note: In order to guarantee registration for the courses you want, please submit your English test scores one month before arriving at TRU.
ESL Bridging Certificates
Each requires completion of Level 4, one ESL elective, and two specific academic courses.
- English and Sciences
- English and Liberal Arts
- English and Fine Arts
- English and Business