Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

Orientation Information

 Arrival Reception–Kamloops Airport 

December 31, 2018 & January 01, 2019, Monday & Tuesday 

During the reception period, TRU staff and student volunteers will be at the Kamloops Airport to welcome and assist you with finding a taxi or a shuttle bus. Bring cash for transportation (approximately CAD$40 for taxi, less than CAD$20 for shuttle). 

Homestay students will be met by their host family at their pre-arranged arrival time.

Students arriving outside of these dates can request a pick-up service for a fee of CAD$75. Taxis/shuttle services are available at the airport at a lower cost. There is also a free telephone you can use to call the taxi or shuttle from the airport upon arrival. 

We are unable to provide this pick-up service during the Arrival Reception, Welcome and Registration Centre and Orientation Days as we will be fully engaged in helping new students with their transition on campus. 

Yellow Cabs: 250-374-3333 | Kami Cabs: 250-374-9999 | Airport Shuttle: 250-314-4803

 Welcome and Registration Centre–new international students registration 

January 02, 2019, Wednesday

Location: to be determined

New international students should bring (if applicable): study permit, medical insurance, any requested original copy of documents such as transcript, English testing scores, etc.

Please make sure you have a digital copy of all your important documents prior to your travel including the main page of your passport (the page with your photo on it). You may be asked for the documents at the Port of Entry.

 Mandatory Orientation for New International Students 

January 03 – 04, 2019, Thursday & Friday

We recommend you arrive in Kamloops at least 2 to 3 days prior to Orientation, to allow you some time to settle in, get over jet lag and attend the Welcome and Registration Centre.

New International Student Orientation information can be viewed here 

 English Testing Scores

If you have completed English language efficiency tests such as TOEFL, IELTS, MELAB, CanTest, CAEL that are still valid by the time you start classes in the coming semester, submit them via email and bring the original document with you when you come. Deadline: December 1, 2018 (Saturday). Submit to If you cannot meet the deadline, please bring the original results with you when you come to the Welcome and Registration Centre.

 English Placement Testing

If you do not have an official English score, you will need to write the English Placement Test at TRU upon your arrival. 

English Placement Testing
January 3, 2019 9:00 am


 First Day of Classes

Winter 2019 Semester classes begin January 7, 2019 (Monday).


On-Campus Housing

If you paid accommodation fees to TRU but have not yet received a confirmation email, notify your International Student Advisor (ISA).


McGill Housing

Regular Move-In Date: TBD
Early Move-In Dates: TBD
Please notify McGill Housing if you plan on moving in early by sending an email to

Early Move-in fee: $50/day (can be paid upon arrival)
Web: McGill Housing information
Phone: 250-852-6330 

TRU Residence

Regular Move-In Date: TBD
Early Move-In Dates: TBD
Please notify TRU Residence if you plan on moving in early by sending an email to:
Early Move-in fee: $50/day (can be paid upon arrival)
Web: TRU Residence information
Phone: 250-852-6296

UCH Residence

Regular Move-In Date: TBD
Early Move-In Dates: TBD
Please notify UCH Residence if you plan on moving in early by sending an email to:
Early Move-in fee: $50/day (can be paid upon arrival)
Web: UCH Housing information
Phone: 250-372-0207


TRU World can assist you with securing Homestay accommodations:

  • The monthly fee for Homestay is CAD$825. You must pay the monthly homestay fee directly to your host family upon your arrival.
  • The following fees are to be paid with your Homestay application:
    • CAD$150 processing fee (non-refundable)*
    • CAD$420 security deposit which is refundable if no damage occurs 
  • The deadline to apply for the Winter 2019 semester is November 15, 2018 (Thursday).
  • Send an email to if you are interested, or contact your ISA.

*CAD$150 processing fee is waived for ISEP (International Student Exchange Program) students. Please review your exchange student's paperwork if you are not sure and/or confirm with your ISA.

Please make sure that the Homestay option is right for you by reading the Homestay Guide. The Homestay Application Form can be found with the Guide.

Off Campus Housing

Please download the off-campus housing rental information for important information if you are looking for a rental property in Kamloops.

 Student Consent Form
 Medical Insurance

Students in BC are eligible for the Medical Service Plan (BC Government Medical Insurance), effective from the fourth month after arrival in BC. Your ISA will help you apply for MSP during Orientation. Until you are eligible for MSP, TRU will automatically enroll all the new students into the medical insurance program and charge the applicable fees unless you provide one of the alternative insurance listed below with the proof. The fee for is currently CAD$60.00/month (subject to change), and the Guard.Me medical insurance fee will be charged to your TRU account in the beginning of your first semester at TRU.

If you have coverage through any of the providers below, you can opt-out of medical insurance. The website where you can opt-out will be provided on our next email to you.

  • BC Medical Services Plan (BC MSP)
  • Saudi Arabian Cultural Bureau - GWL
  • Canadian Bureau for International Education - CSF Plan
  • FrontierMedex - ISEP (International Student Exchange Program) Medical Insurance
  • Bilateral Exchange students who have coverage provided by their Home Institution (example: Australian Universities)
  • Bilateral Exchange students who have coverage provided by their Country of Origin Government (example: Government of Austria)

*Note that no other medical insurance than the list above is accepted for opting out Guard Me medical insurance. If you have a question about this, send an email to

**If you are registered in the Adventure Sport Certificate, Adventure Management Diploma, Adventure Guide Diploma or a Post Bacc in Adventure and your program has a current semester field course, you need extra medical insurance for the first three months. Find out more.


Extended Medical Insurance — Health and Dental Plan (through TRUSU)

TRU Student Union (TRUSU) has included international students under the Health and Dental plan. It is mandatory for students in 9 credits or more, except short-term exchange students and visiting students. The fee is CAD$248/year and it will be charged to your account. It covers you from September 1 - August 31 each year. For more information,or to determine if you are eligible for an opt-out, visit the TRUSU websiteFor Summer and Winter semester new students, you will need to opt-in at TRUSU counter in Campus Activity Centre on the first floor.

 What to Expect at the Canadian Border

Get your immigration documents in order. Before leaving for Canada, make sure that you have your Passport, Temporary Resident Visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) (if you require one), and an up-to-dated TRU admission letter.

You must report to Canada Immigration at the Port of Entry (airport) upon arrival in Canada. Do not leave the airport until your passport has been stamped and dated by an immigration officer and you have obtained your Study Permit (if applicable).

 Immunization Record

It is recommended that International students bring their immunization records with them to Canada. The immunization records are very valuable when seeing a doctor in Canada. It saves the student from having to undergo unnecessary tests and paying for the associated costs.

 Deferral and Refund

If you need to request for a refund or defer your admission to another semester, please select and complete the deferral/refund form applicable to you and send this form to on or before the first day of winter semester classes, January 07, 2019 (Monday). If we do not hear from you by this date, you risk forfeiting your fees. Thank you.

 Other Useful Resources

Orientation Schedule

New International Student Orientation information can be viewed here.


Like our Facebook page and get connected with news and information for international students at TRU.


TRU World YouTube channel

Find Your TRU videos

 Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is reminding international students to prepare for their trip to study in Canada by reviewing Canada’s entry requirements and applying as soon as possible for their study permit.

IRCC has developed the attached handout, ready-to-use text, and social media messaging to help you share this important reminder with international students. We encourage you to spread the word via your institution’s student associations, websites and social media channels, and in correspondence with international students, to help minimize stress and ensure a smooth experience for students travelling to Canada.

IRCC has also prepared posters and shareable images to remind all travellers to Canada, including students, to apply early if they need a visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). If you would like electronic versions of any of these products, please contact IRCC at