Off Campus Housing Rentals
Finding off-campus housing can be difficult and time consuming. We would like to help make the process as easy as possible for you. Here is the list of the resources and information for the off-campus housing rentals.
Where should I look?
When looking at the addresses of potential rentals, or touring the area, the following are some of the different streets that are close to the university, and generally within walking distance or a quick bus ride.
- Columbia Street (some locations are walking distance, some by bus)
- McGill Road
- Pemberton Terrace
- Greenstone Drive
- Dalhousie Drive
- St. Paul Street
- Nicola Street
- Battle Street
- Pine Street
The North Shore TRU Express, which runs on Tranquille Road, makes this area handy for students looking for a good deal on rentals. Some apartment blocks are right on Tranquille Road, while others can be found on nearby streets such as Kitchener Crescent and Schubert Drive.
Sahali and Aberdeen
These main streets are south of campus and on/near direct bus routes to the university with average 5-10 minute ride.
- Gleneagles Drive (Sahali)
- Hugh Allen Drive (Aberdeen)
- Springhill Drive (Sahali)
- Pacific Way (Aberdeen)
- Robson Drive (Sahali)
- Aberdeen Drive (Aberdeen)
Hotels Near TRU
Nearby hotels/motels provide a temporary solution to short term housing needs arising at the last minute. Monthly/weekly rental works best for temporary stay.
*Rates are subject to change, please check with the establishment.If you would like to book a room at other hotel/motel than the ones listed above, please contact ISA for information of the property.
|Hotel||Distance to TRU||Kitchenette||Services||Facilities||Rate|
530 Columbia St
portable hot stove
|$1100 (single) or $1550 (double)/mo
610 Columbia St W
|wifi, cable tv,
fridge, stove, microwave
|Canada's Best Value
Inn & Suites
1200 Rogers Way
|free wifi, laundry,
fridge, stove, microwave,
phone, local calls,
cable tv, coffee maker
|$1200/ 3 queen beds with kitchenette
$900/ 2 queen beds with Kitchenette
$800/ 2 queen beds no kitchenette
463 Grandview Terrace
|free wifi, laundry,
fridge, stove, microwave,
phone, local calls, cable tv,
5 minutes to
Aberdeen Mall and Cineplex,
bus stop in front of property
with 2 large kitchens
|laundry on site,
wifi, hot tub,
pool, 24-hour gym
*Long term rate available
upon request ($1000/month double occupancy)
176 Comazzetto Rd
|free wifi, laundry,
local calls, cable TV, coffee maker,
|$1200/month for double kitchen, double occupancy
$900/month for single kitchen, double occupancy
$900/month for single non-kitchenette, double occupancy
|Apartment Complex||Address in Kamloops||Manager/Contact|
|Columbia Manor||1336 Columbia St||Dave Marshall
|Hillsview Apartments||Arrowstone Dr||Shawn Curtis
|Kelson Manor Apartments||465 & 481 Greenstone Dr||Adam
|Stetson Place & Dufferin Terrace||595 Dalgleish Dr||Rose Lemieux
|Summit Village Residences||1415 Summit Dr||250-320-0538|
|Columbia Property Management||Office: #101-388 First Avenue||250-851-9310|
- TRU Students' Union Housing Registry
- Kijiji Kamloops
- Kelson Group
- Columbia Property Management
- Kamloops This Week
- Facebook for TRU Students
- Off campus rental for TRU international Students
- Sunden Management
- CML Properties
- UR, The Online Rental Marketplace
- Gateway Property Management
- Craigslist Kamloops
- Rent Faster
Important Tips for Renting
Inspecting an Apartment
When you view rental accommodations, check these important features:
- Are there locks on all doors?
- Do the appliances work? Check the fridge and try turning on the stove.
- Do the shower and taps work? Try turning them on.
- Is the carpet clean? Ask the landlord if the carpet will be cleaned or changed before you move in.
- How loud is traffic noise when the windows are open?
- What does the rent include? For example, will you have to pay extra for any of the following: heat, electricity, cable, laundry facilities, fridge, stove, storage, or parking?
- Never send any money before seeing the rental unit and meeting with the landlord face to face. If they are asking you to send money before seeing the place, it is probably a scam and should be avoided!
- Do not sign a lease that states how long you must stay unless you intend to stay for that period of time.
- Make sure you have a written tenancy agreement with the owner or manager of the property.
- Do not take over a rental from another student who is renting and leaving the country without having your own agreement in writing with the landlord.
- Do not sign any documents that you don’t fully understand. If you need clarification make an appointment with an ISA
- Designate someone who lives in BC to act as your agent in dispute resolution in case you need to return to your home country before the landlord has returned your security deposit. Contact the Residential Tenancy Branch to do this.
- Do participate in a move-in and a move-out inspection, or else risk losing your deposit. Don’t pay a deposit for a place you are not sure you want, or you may lose your deposit.
- Do get an original copy of your condition inspection report after you sign it. Don’t sign the condition inspection form until you indicate on the report if you disagree with any of your landlord’s statements on the report.
- Do make sure you have your landlord’s name, phone number, and address before you have a problem. Don’t expect to be reimbursed for repairs you do yourself unless your landlord agrees to it in writing.
- Do insist on receiving a notice of rent increase on the proper form. Don’t sign something agreeing to an above guideline rent increase if you don’t want to accept it.
Finally…trust your instincts. If your first meeting with a potential landlord is not good, it’s likely you’ll have problems with that person and should not rent from him/her. Don’t sign an agreement or pay a deposit unless you are absolutely sure you want to move in to the place.
For a more detailed explanation of the topics mentioned, here please refer to The Tenant Survival Guide.
Disclaimer: please read carefully
Before you review listings on this site, you should understand that:
Thompson Rivers University does not recommend or endorse any listing
The information provided on this site is purely for the convenience of TRU students and TRU does not recommend or endorse any of the premises listed. The listings have not been inspected by TRU and TRU has not confirmed the accuracy of the information provided or the suitability of the accommodations for residential purposes.
It is your responsibility to inspect and investigate any listing
It is the responsibility of the student to contact the landlord directly. TRU highly recommends a personal inspection of the premises and an exhaustive review of all arrangements with the landlord. Any student who does not feel qualified to entertain these investigations should seek either parental advice or professional assistance.
As a tenant, you may be assuming personal liability risks and should consider insurance
Students are also warned that as tenants they may potentially incur risks which expose them to personal liability as occupiers of property. All students are urged to review the issue of insurance with their landlord and/or their own insurance agents.
TRU is not liable for your use of this site
TRU does not make any representations about or endorse any of the listings on this site and provides no guarantee that any listing is trustworthy, safe or suitable. TRU is not responsible for any damage or losses resulting from your use of the site and by using the site, you accept and assume and agree to be solely responsible for all damage or losses you incur as a result of your use of this site.
How to recognize and avoid rental scams
Please carefully review the resources of this website. While instances of online fraud may be rare, it is important to be attentive when conducting a housing search or looking for potential tenants/subletters