Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

Orientation Information

Dear Student

Welcome to Thompson Rivers University (TRU), Kamloops campus. Below are important dates and information to keep in mind as you prepare to come to Thompson Rivers University for the upcoming semester. We look forward to seeing you soon in Kamloops.

Yours sincerely,
International Student Advisors
TRU World, Thompson Rivers University

Arrival Reception

Kamloops Airport: January 1-3, 2018

Students will be greeted and helped with a taxi or a shuttle bus. Please bring some cash (around CAN$40 for taxi, CAN$20 for shuttle) for the transportation.

During the reception period, our staff and student volunteers will be at the Kamloops Airport to welcome and guide you. Homestay students will be met by their host family upon their pre-arranged arrival time. Students arriving outside of these dates can request pick up service for a fee of $75.00. We are unable to provide this pick up service during Orientation as we will be fully engaged in helping new students with their transition on campus. Taxis are available at the airport.

Yellow Cabs: 250-374-3333 | Kami Cabs: 250-374-9999 | Airport Shuttle: 250-314-4803

Welcome and Registration Centre

New international students registration: January 2 and 3, 2018

Location: Campus Activity Centre (CAC), Alpine Room

New international students should bring (if applicable): study permit, medical insurance, any requested original copy of documents such as transcript, English testing scores, etc.

Mandatory Orientation for New International Students

January 4-5, 2018 (Thursday and Friday)

We recommend you arrive in Kamloops at least two to three days prior to orientation, to allow you some time to settle in and get over jet lag.

English Testing Scores

If you have completed English language efficiency tests such as TOEFL, IELTS, MELAB, CanTest, CAEL that are still valid by the time you start classes in the coming semester, submit them via email and bring the original document with you when you come.

Deadline: November 15, 2017. Submit to

English Placement Testing

If you do not have an official English score, you will need to write the English Placement Test at TRU on January 3, 2018 at 9:00am.

First Day of Classes

Winter 2018 Semester classes begin January 8, 2018.


On-Campus Housing

If you paid accommodation fees to TRU but have not yet received a confirmation email, notify your International Student Advisor (ISA).

McGill Housing

Regular move-in date: January 1, 2018

Early move-in dates: notify McGill Housing if you plan on moving in early by sending an email to

Early move-in fee: $50/day

TRU Residence

Regular move-in date: January 1, 2018

Early move-in dates: notify TRU Residence if you plan on moving in early by sending an email to

Early move-in fee: $50/day


TRU World can assist you with securing Homestay accommodations. The monthly fee for Homestay is $825. You must pay the monthly homestay fee directly to your host family upon your arrival. There is $150 processing fee plus $420 security deposit to pay when you apply for the homestay. The deadline to apply for the Winter 2018 semester is Nov. 15, 2017. Send an email to if you are interested.

* $150 processing fee is waived for ISEP (International Student Exchange Program) students.

Off Campus Housing

Please download the off-campus housing rental information for important information if you are looking for a rental property in Kamloops.

Student Consent Form

Online student consent form.

Medical Insurance

Students in BC are eligible for the Medical Service Plan (BC Government Medical Insurance), effective from the fourth month after arrival in BC. Your ISA will help you apply for MSP during Orientation. Until you are eligible for MSP, TRU will automatically enroll all the new students into the medical insurance program and charge the applicable fees unless you provide one of the alternative insurance listed below with the proof. The fee for and MSP is currently $60.00/month (subject to change), and the Guard.Me medical insurance fee will be charged to your TRU account in Jan. 2018.

If you have coverage through any of the providers below, you can opt-out of medical insurance. The website where you can opt-out will be provided on our next email to you.

  • BC Medical Services Plan (BC MSP)
  • Saudi Arabian Cultural Bureau - GWL
  • Canadian Bureau for International Education - CSF Plan
  • FrontierMedex - ISEP (International Student Exchange Program) Medical Insurance
  • Bilateral Exchange students who have coverage provided by their Home Institution (example: Australian Universities)
  • Bilateral Exchange students who have coverage provided by their Country of Origin Government (example: Government of Austria)

* Note that no other medical insurance than the list above is accepted for opting out Guard Me medical insurance. If you have a question about this, send an email to

** If you are registered in the Adventure Sport Certificate, Adventure Management Diploma, Adventure Guide Diploma or a Post Bacc in Adventure and your program has a Winter 2018 semester field course, you need extra medical insurance for the first three months. Find out more.

Extended Medical I nsurance — Health and Dental Plan (through TRUSU)

TRU Student Union (TRUSU) has included international students under the Health and Dental plan. It is mandatory for students in 9 credits or more, except exchange students and visiting students who are studying for only one semester. The fee is $248/year and it will be charged to your account. It covers you from September 1 to August 31 each year. For more information,or to determine if you are eligible for an opt-out, visit the TRUSU website. For Winter 2018 semester new student, you will need to opt-in at TRUSU counter in Campus Activity Centre on the first floor.

What to Expect at the Canadian Border

Get your immigration documents in order. Before leaving for Canada, make sure that you have your Passport, Temporary Resident Visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) (if you require one), and an up-to-dated TRU admission letter.

You must report to Canada Immigration at the Port of Entry (airport) upon arrival in Canada. Do not leave the airport until your passport has been stamped and dated by an immigration officer and you have obtained your Study Permit (if applicable).

Immunization Record

It is recommended that International students bring their immunization records with them to Canada. The immunization records are very valuable when seeing a doctor in Canada. It saves the student from having to undergo unnecessary tests and paying for the associated costs.


If you need to request for a refund or defer your admission to another semester, send an email to on or before the first day of winter semester classes, Jan. 8, 2018. If we do not hear from you by this date, you risk forfeiting your fees.

Other Useful Resources

Orientation Schedule

New International Student Orientation information for Summer 2018 will be posted when it's available.


"Like" our Facebook page and get connected with news and information for international students at TRU.


TRU World YouTube channel

Find Your TRU videos

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is reminding international students to prepare for their trip to study in Canada by reviewing Canada’s entry requirements and applying as soon as possible for their study permit.

IRCC has developed the attached handout, ready-to-use text, and social media messaging to help you share this important reminder with international students. We encourage you to spread the word via your institution’s student associations, websites and social media channels, and in correspondence with international students, to help minimize stress and ensure a smooth experience for students travelling to Canada.

IRCC has also prepared posters and shareable images to remind all travellers to Canada, including students, to apply early if they need a visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). If you would like electronic versions of any of these products, please contact IRCC at