Government-sponsored Professional Truck Driver Programs
Now taking applications for October 2016 to March 2017
This government-sponsored program is tuition-free
Thompson Rivers University, School of Trades and Technology, in partnership with Columbia Transport Training Ltd., is pleased to offer Class 1 Truck Driver Training.
The BC trucking industry is currently facing shortages of truck drivers. This program has been developed in collaboration with trucking companies and industry stakeholders.
The Class 1 Truck Driver Training program is delivered at the TRU Kamloops campus.
- Meet eligibility requirements set out on the LMA Eligibility Form
- Complete an Application
- Have a valid BC Class 5
- Have a personal interview with instructors and program caseworker
Funding is provided through the Canada-British Columbia Labour Market Agreement. This initiative is geared towards people who are unemployed or under-employed and who are NOT currently receiving Employment Insurance.
The Class 1 Truck Driver Training program includes:
- Class 1 Driver Training — five weeks — 104 hours in-vehicle training
- Road test at ICBC
Upon completion of the program, you will be an entry-level truck driver with behind the wheel experience, and ready for employment.
- You must meet the eligibility requirements set out in the LMA eligibility Form.
- Email, fax, phone or mail the following items to the contact person noted below:
- Completed LMA Eligibility Form
- Cover letter indicating why the applicant wants to take the program
- Current resume
- Completed TRU Application, and if possible, a letter from a potential employer indicating a commitment for employment (applicants with this letter will receive priority consideration)
- Pre-screening application
- Driver's abstract
Ray Trenholm — Driver Training
TRU School of Trades and Technology
805 TRU Way
Kamloops, BC V2C 0C8
Phone: 250-828-5104 or 250-371-5817