Software engineering is one of the fastest growing and in-demand professions. Many sectors of society — including manufacturing, transportation, healthcare, government, and the media — rely on computer tools and applications in their day-to-day operations.
These sectors have benefited greatly from rapidly changing and innovative information technology solutions to problems. An overwhelming growth in computing and related information technology industries has created a tremendous demand for software engineers — professionals with the technical knowledge and skills to design, develop, test and maintain problem-solving software.
- Software engineers enjoy potentially lucrative career choices with a wide range of employers, including industry, manufacturing, medicine, banking, entertainment, research, automobiles, security and almost every other field imaginable.
- The software engineering program prepares graduates to work in industry jobs related to software application development, software testing, software design, database management, network management and operations, security analysis and protection, and more.
- There is a shortage of software engineers in career areas such as mobile technologies, cybersecurity, computing, cloud computing and advanced computerized products.
- Software engineer is among the top 10 most in-demand occupations in Canada in 2018.
- The program is designed to meet the criteria of the Engineers Canada Accreditation Board. Graduates will meet all of the educational requirements for registration as a professional engineer through APEGBC. Up to 12 months of co-op work may count towards the work experience required for professional designation.