Admission into first year
Students may gain admission to the TRU Engineering Transfer program in several ways including:
- Following graduation from high school.
- Following a year or more of university-level studies in science, or other related disciplines.
- Following partial completion of first-year engineering at TRU or another recognized university.
Applications should be received no later than the official March 1 deadline for admission the following September. Space permitting, applications may also be accepted after March 1. There are 60 seats available in the TRU first-year engineering transfer program and admission is competitive based on academic performance. Meeting minimum entrance requirements does not guarantee admission.
High school admission requirements
Admission to the Engineering Transfer program following high school graduation will normally require:
- Pre-Calculus 12 (or equivalent) with B (73%) or better
- Physics 12 (or equivalent) with B (73%) or better
- Chemistry 11 (or equivalent) with B (73%) or better (Chem 12 is highly recommended)
- English 12 (or equivalent) with a 73% (combined high school and government exam) or better
Admission after a year of postsecondary studies in science or related studies
Admission to the Engineering Transfer program from a science or related program will normally require:
- An overall GPA of 3.00 (B) or better in previous university studies.
- Grades of B or better in a 1000 level (or equivalent) Mathematics courses completed.
- Grades of B or better in a 1000 level (or equivalent) Physics courses completed.
- Grades of C+ or better in a 1000 level (or equivalent) English courses completed.
Admission after partial completion of first-year engineering
Students who have completed parts of a first year Engineering program at a recognized Canadian university will be considered for admission to the TRU engineering program on a case by case basis. Interested individuals should contact the TRU engineering program coordinator for more details.
Orientation and pre-registration
Successful applicants granted conditional admission to the program are required to attend an orientation session normally held in late May or early June. During the orientation, students meet with the engineering coordinator to select their courses and obtain their fall and winter timetables. Following orientation, and payment of fees, engineering transfer students will be pre-registered in their selected courses.
If unable to attend an orientation session, students are expected to contact the TRU engineering coordinator to arrange for remote orientation via telephone and/or email.
The transfer application process
Early in the winter semester of first year engineering, TRU students will apply to the universities at which they are hoping to complete their engineering degrees. Application deadlines vary between institutions. Admission in the Faculty of Engineering at UBC normally requires a cumulative GPA of 2.8. Admission in the Faculty of Engineering at UVic normally requires a cumulative GPA ranging from 2.33 to 3.33 depending on the chosen discipline. TRU engineering students have successfully transferred and completed engineering degrees at UBC and UVic since the early 1980's.
Admission into second year
Applications should be received no later than the official March 1 deadline for admission in the following September intake.
The minimum admission requirements are:
- The completion of the first year of the Engineering Transfer program at TRU (38 credits) or at another recognized engineering transfer program, with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5.
- A grade of C or better in all courses that are part of the first-year transfer program.
Note: Students having completed a first year of engineering studies in an accredited program at a Canadian university will be considered for admission on a case by case basis.