Careers in Computing Science
Strong market, terrific jobs
Currently there are not enough computing scientists to fill the jobs available; this trend is expected to continue for at least the next five years. Computing personnel report high levels of satisfaction with their careers (good salary and working conditions, interesting applications to work on, the products they produce often have a positive effect on society, etc).
During co-op work terms, students can earn up to $40,000 per year. Graduates typically earn up to $50,000 to start, with senior positions often reaching $100,000 or more.
Graduates may find employment in:
- Web design, development and integration
- Data warehouse and data mining design, development and administration
- Distributed systems design and development
- Network and telecommunication system administration
- Software quality assurance, testing and validation
- Project management
- Human computer interface design
- Multimedia development
- Mobile application development
- Game development
Some good reasons for taking computing science at Thompson Rivers University rather than another university include the following:
- Lower tuition fees than most universities in BC or Canada
- Smaller class sizes
- Quality instruction by enthusiastic, approachable instructors
- Access to dedicated labs equipped with modern hardware and software.
- Modern campus with new facilities, including on-campus housing, athletic and recreational facilities
- Beautiful location in the rolling hills of Kamloops
- Exceptional climate in a central BC Interior location with many recreational opportunities (skiing, golf, etc.)