Cats and dogs are acquired from the pound and the SPCA in Kamloops and the surrounding area.
While in the program, these animals are health checked, spayed or neutered, fully immunized and receive a tattoo and microchip for identification purposes. As part of their behaviour classes, veterinary technology students work with the dogs developing basic obedience skills. Both cats and dogs receive lots of positive attention and are well socialized.
At the end of each semester, program animals are adopted into the community. Veterinary technology students take direct responsibility for:
- Organizing adoption packages.
- Meeting with prospective new owners.
- Introducing prospective owners to the animals.
- Organizing the final release of the animal to their new home.
- Interested students also have the opportunity to adopt an animal from the program.