The clinical year allows you to gain practical experience in all aspects of respiratory therapy. Upon completing Level one—from June to November—you are expected to meet certain predetermined objectives in all rotations. Level two—completed from December to April—includes further mastery of these same objectives.
The clinical year is divided into three main areas of practice:
- Diagnostics—blood gas analysis, pulmonary function, electrocardiography, stress testing and bronchoscopy.
- Therapy—medical surgical rotation, paediatrics and nursery, and respiratory therapy department.
- Critical care—adult and neonatal intensive care, operating room and anaesthesia, and coronary care.
You must pass the theory course with an overall grade of 60% or better. You must also achieve a grade of 50% or better on the final examinations. The final mark is either a pass or fail for clinical courses.
You will work the equivalent of 35 hours each week. You may be assigned shift work. Clinical training involves rotations between different accredited hospitals and these rotations may include:
- Interior to Vancouver or Vancouver to Interior
- Vancouver to Vancouver
- Vancouver to Victoria or Victoria to Vancouver
- Vancouver to Prince George or Prince George to Vancouver
Hospitals affiliated with the TRU Respiratory Therapy program include:
- Kelowna General Hospital
- Royal Inland Hospital (Kamloops)
- University Hospital of Northern BC (Prince George)
- BC Children’s and Women’s Hospitals (Vancouver)
- Royal Columbian Hospital (New Westminster)
- St Paul’s Hospital (Vancouver)
- Surrey Memorial Hospital
- Vancouver General Hospital
- Abbotsford Regional Hospital
Victoria (both are part of the Victoria rotation)
- Royal Jubilee Hospital
- Victoria General Hospital
Clinical practicum year courses
- RTCL 3040, Neonatal and Pediatrics (Clinical)
- RTCL 3110, Respiratory Therapy Clinical (Level 1)
- RTCL 3120, Respiratory Therapy Clinical (Level 2)
- RTCT 3040, Respiratory Therapy Clinical Theory: Neonatal and Pediatrics
- RTCT 3110, Respiratory Therapy Clinical Theory (Level 1)
- RTCT 3120, Respiratory Therapy Clinical Theory (Level 2)