TRU Science


 When do the courses in the program start?

You can begin the AWCP courses at anytime. There are no prerequisites but we suggest that you be comfortable working at a grade 12 level with some science background.

 Do I have to take all the courses in the program to obtain a certificate of completion?

No, we award certificates of completion for each course completed in the program. You can select any of the courses in our program. We can also combine portions of courses for you if you are interest in a specific area of animal welfare. Please contact the AWCP program coordinator or details and costs.

 Do I have to come to TRU for any portion of the AWCP courses?

No, you can complete all of the AWCP courses without having to attend TRU.

 Where do I write my exams?

There are no exams in the AWCP courses. The program is based on assignments. If you achieve 60 percent or better on the assignments you will receive a certificate of completion. The student should be cautioned that there are a large number of assignments. It is imperative that you keep up with these assignments in order to complete the course in the time allowed.

 How long do I have to complete the courses?

For our two main (and largest) courses, AWCP 1700 and 1710, you have 8 months to complete. Our smaller courses have shorter timelines. If you can dedicate two to three hours per week to your studies you will be able to complete any of our courses within the allotted time.

 What if I don't complete the courses on time?

We allow a one time course extension of three months. There is an extension fee that must be paid before the extension is granted.

 Do the AWCP courses qualify for student loans?

Unfortunately no. Two of our courses, AWCP 1700 - General Level and AWCP 1710 - Advanced Level are credit courses at TRU, UBC and the University College of the Fraser Valley. If you are taking other university courses including either AWCP 1700 or AWCP 1710 you may qualify for Canadian Student Loans depending on your course load. Please consult your institution's Loans Officer.

 Will I be able to pay for the courses in installments?

Again, unfortunately no. We need to have received payment in full before you are registered in the program.

 Once I have sent in my application and paid my fees what happens next?

We will send you two shipments of materials. One shipment will be the course notes, and related materials such as videos and CD's if they are included in that particular course. The other shipment will come from the bookstore if you order your texts through the TRU Bookstore. Once the Registrar has sent us notice that you have registered, our course tutor will contact you and set up your access to our AWCP website. Give us about two weeks after you have sent in your registration for this to happen. (if you have not heard from us by then, please call or email me!)At this website you can view your marks and communicate with your classmates. Once you have received your course materials you can begin at anytime. The timeline for the course begins once we have shipped you the course materials. You are responsible for all quizzes and assignments in the course. You can begin anywhere in the course - just be sure to label the assignments and quizzes with the section of the course that you are working on. You do not have to retype the question.

 How do I send in my assignments?

We accept just about anything! (mail, fax, disk, email) The method that works best for our course tutor is for you to do the assignment in a Word document and attach it to an email message. The turnaround time is quite rapid using this method.

 How do I obtain further information?

If you would send us your mailing address we will send you a course information/registration package. Send your request to Carol Costache or call 250-852-7170 and state the name of the course that you would like the information sent on.