What is stress?
When you have so much going on in your life that you cannot deal with it all and your body reacts to tell you that it is too much.
What causes stress?
- School/ Homework/ Tests
- Money problems
- Illness/ Death of someone you love
- Being Lonely
- Culture Shock (being in a different country)
- Feeling like you are not in control
- Too much to do and too little time
- Tension with roommates/ family/ friends
- Trouble meeting new friends
- No one to talk to about your feelings
- People trying to make you do things you don’t want to do (Peer Pressure)
What does stress look like?
- Aches and pains in your body
- Anxiety (nervous, fast heart beat, upset stomach)
- Depression (feeling sad or crying)
- Increase or decrease in the amount of food you eat
- Being tired
- Trouble sleeping (too much or too little)
- Hard to concentrate/ remember/ think
- Not very much energy
- Not wanting to do things you used to like doing
- Take a relaxing bath
- Go for a walk
- Ask for help with your school work
- Get a massage
- Listen to music
- Read a book
- Talk to your friends, family or advisors
- Manage your time
- Exercise/ Eat Healthy
- Watch a movie
- Do anything that takes your mind off what is stressing you
- Take a deep breath
Is stress making you feel depressed?
Depression is a major change in your mood making you feel like you cannot deal with events that happen in your life.
What does depression look like?
- Feeling very sad and crying
- Not wanting to be around people or do things you used to like to do
- Loss of self-esteem and confidence
- Feeling like you are not worth anything
- Feeling like you could hurt yourself or end your life