Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

First Aid

Contacting First Aid 

First Aid on the Kamloops campus can be obtained by calling Campus Security via any of the following methods:

  • Click 'Get Help' on the TRU SAFE app
  • Dialing 250-828-5033 or 5033 from any campus phone
  • By pressing the 'info' button on any emergency phone - red phones within buildings or yellow pillars outside or in parking lots.  Emergency services can also be reached on these phones by pressing the 'emergency' button.
  • Williams Lake students and staff can summon help by calling 250-392-8000 or 8000 from any campus phone.
E Phones FA 2019

Self Treatment, First Aid, Hospital - which one do I need?

Simple injuries such as paper cuts or slivers can be self treated but all other injuries should be treated by a First Aid Attendant.  The goal of first aid is to get you back to work/class or prepare you to be sent to a physician or the hospital.

TRU's First Aid Attendants can provide a wide variety of treatments such as bandaging of larger cuts, applying butterfly stitches to close larger wounds, and application of splints, slings and tensor bandages, to name a few.  It is preferable to have employees treated by First Aid for these types of minor injuries rather than have these same treatments provided at the hospital.  Attendants will refer you for medical follow up if required.

In most cases, First Aid should be called before deciding to travel to the hospital - however, if you believe there to be a serious medical emergency such as a heart attack, stroke, unresponsive person, deadly bleeding, etc., please call 911 and then call for First Aid, as treatment or support can be started while awaiting the ambulance.

On the Kamloops campus, designated First Aid Attendants have been trained in the recognition of opioid overdose and provision of life supporting procedures including the administration of intranasal naloxone (Narcan).

Reporting Procedures

All employee injuries must be reported to their direct supervisor and first aid attendant immediately.

All injuries require the completion of an Incident Report Form - which is to be submitted electronically to the Office of Safety & Emergency Management (OSEM) - please use Internet Explorer.  This will allow us to ensure that hazardous situations are rectified or changes to procedures are instituted, so others are not injured.

Employees with injuries that require further medical treatment (physician or hospital) are required to inform their direct supervisor immediately and complete a WorkSafe Form 6A - Employee's Report of Injury, and forward it to their supervisor.

Supervisors who receive a Form 6A are required to complete and submit an electronic version of the WorkSafe Form 7 - Employer's Report of Injury, and submit both the Form 6A and Form 7 to  within 36 hours of the injury/incident.  TRU's Office of Safety & Emergency Management will complete an investigation within 72 hours of being notified of the incident.

Any student who is injured while on an approved practicum or apprenticeship is also required to seek first aid treatment and complete both a Hazard/Incident Form and a WorkSafe Form 7A (for apprentice or practicum students).  These documents are to be submitted to OSEM immediately. 

It is extremely important that all injuries - employee, student and visitors - are reported in a timely fashion to their direct supervisor and the Office of Safety & Emergency Management.

Further details can be found in SEM 7.01- First Aid Procedures




Search To Top