Health Screening

TRU requires that all individuals (students, faculty, staff and visitors) perform the BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment daily before coming to campus.

Decision tree

Our Return to Class/Work Decision Tree helps to provide an overview of what to do when you or someone you teach or supervise is unwell.

Download PDF

Reasons to stay home

Anyone who meets the following criteria must not attend campus:

  • If you feel sick, stay away from campus. Perform the BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment. The test is sensitive and will advise you to get tested and self-isolate even with mild COVID-19 symptoms. If you are in doubt if a test or self-isolation are needed, we recommend that you also call 811 to speak to a health care professional to get advice.
  • Anyone under the direction of public health to self-isolate must follow those instructions.
  • Anyone who has arrived from outside of Canada, or who is a contact of a confirmed COVID-19 case, to self-isolate for 14 days and monitor for symptoms, including individuals who live in the same household as a confirmed COVID-19 case who is self-isolating.

COVID-19 symptoms

The symptoms of COVID-19 are similar to other respiratory illnesses including the flu and common cold. According to BC Centre for Disease Control, they include: fever, chills, cough, and shortness of breath, sore throat and painful swallowing, stuffy or runny nose, loss of sense of smell or taste, headache, muscle aches, fatigue and loss of appetite.

If you have any of these symptoms, please call 811 to speak to a health care professional.

Illness while on campus

If you become symptomatic while on campus please:

  • Advise your supervisor/instructor that you are not feeling well and go home immediately — do not stop anywhere.
  • Take the BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment.
  • Follow the instructions from the self assessment, which may include calling 811 to speak to a health care professional, getting tested and/or isolation.
  • Supervisors/instructors please forward any reports of people leaving due to illness to your manager or dean in case contact tracing is required.

COVID-19 test results

If the results are negative and the symptoms have resolved, you can return to school or work. A doctor’s note is not required to prove your negative test result.

If the results are negative but the symptoms continue, it’s important that you stay home because the swab tests are not perfect and there are a few reasons why it may come back negative even if you are positive.

If the test is positive, please follow the directives of public health with regard to continued isolation, treatment and return to work/school/other activities.

Privacy and contact tracing

Please note a person’s health status is private information. Should a student or employee volunteer information regarding their health, including a COVID test result, it should be kept confidential. They are not required to provide TRU with any information regarding their health status nor are you responsible for passing on this information.

If someone tests positive, a communicable disease specialist from Interior Health will work with the individual on contact tracing and determine who should be contacted. This includes advising the public, if necessary. If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out to

Student attendance

Normally faculty do not take class attendance. However, in order to facilitate contact tracing, should it be required, we are asking all faculty who are providing face-to-face instruction to maintain records of student attendance.

Self-reporting declarations

In additional to daily health screening, there may be some circumstances where individuals will be required to make a self-reporting declaration (verbally or in writing) that they are: not sick; not symptomatic; have not travelled internationally recently; and are not required to be self-isolating — before they may enter or visit a workplace.

Self-declarations may be required if there is a greater degree of risk presented to the employees (e.g. increased contact intensity) in settings such as child care, health care practicums, medical clinics, specialized lab environments/procedures, etc.

It is the responsibility of the unit to determine if a self-reporting declaration is required and make clear those expectations to their clients or visitors.

Search To Top