Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

Property Insurance

Property insurance for Thompson Rivers University (TRU) is provided through the Universities, Colleges and Institutes Protection Program (UCIPP).

In general UCIPP provide coverage for all property owned by the university and any property leased or borrowed by the university (with the exception of artwork) for the provision of education services and programs and where the institution has agreed to provide coverage. Property excluded from the standard UCIPP policy may be covered under an additional Optional Property Policy on arrangement.

TRU owned or leased vehicles are not covered by UCIPP and must be insured through ICBC by the department or faculty. Information about vehicle insurance, including rental vehicles may be found in the Vehicle Insurance section of this website.

The personal property of visitors, students and employees is not covered by the university except where at item is used by an employee specifically for instructional or employment purposes.

Personal property brought onto campus is at the users own risk. Individuals should check the provisions of their personal home/tenants insurance for coverage of such items.

Any loss or damage to university property should be reported to security on 5033 for investigation and to Risk Management Services for potential claims using as soon as possible. Please note that the deductible is currently $10,000. Losses of under $10,000 are the faculty or department's responsibility.