Intramural Captains are integral to the success of the Intramural programs. Captains are team leaders, both on and off the court. It’s not for everyone – so be sure to read the following carefully before signing up.
TRU Recreation is Open to All. We are committed to providing an inclusive, accessible, and respectful experience for all of its patrons, volunteers, and staff.
A captains meeting for each sport league will be scheduled prior to the first playing date of each semester. All captains are required to attend, or must send a responsible representative in his or her place. Teams who do not attend will not be scheduled to play. All teams, including wait listed teams, are required to attend.
A captains’ meeting is scheduled for Thursday, January 9 (Room TBA) at 7:00 p.m. This is mandatory for team captains.
Every team must have a captain who will be responsible for the following:
- Enter the team during the registration dates/times
- Attend the Captains’ meeting (or have a representative attend)
- Ensure the eligibility of the team players
- Inform the team of eligibility, conduct and activity rules
- Ensure that their team abides by the Intramural Rules
- Sign the Captains’ Contract prior to the first playing date
- Ensure that the team is aware of each week’s playing schedule, available on the IM Leagues site
- Providing the Supervisor with the Spirit of Play score for the other team at the end of each game
- Make sure that your team’s first priority is to have fun through healthy competition.
Captains/coaches must act as a team leader. He or she must encourage, motivate and assist in developing players to achieve their maximum potential. All coaches/captains will:
- Teach players to play fairly and respect the rules, officials, spectators and players
- Work in co-operation with the Supervisor (and Referees when applicable) for the benefit of the game
- Recognize and respect the differences in their players
- Not ridicule or degrade players for any reason
- Encourage and reward effort, fair play, participation and commitment