Animal Health Technology Diploma
Interact daily with a menagerie of small animals and gain experience with livestock, wildlife and birds as a veterinary technician, assisting veterinarians and veterinary scientists. The AHT program gives you the skills to work in diagnostic testing, radiography, medical procedures, office protocol, animal nursing, anesthesia, and surgical assistance.
Although most graduates are employed in private veterinary practices, positions may be obtained in the emerging biotechnical fields, animal shelters, zoological parks and other animal oriented areas in the public and private sectors.
- Grade 12 (or equivalent)
- Foundations of Math 11 with a minimum C+ (or equivalent)
- Chemistry 11 with a minimum C+ (or equivalent)
- Life Sciences 11 with a minimum C+ (or equivalent)
- Anatomy & Physiology 12, Chemistry 12 or Physics 12 with a minimum C+ (or equivalent). Anatomy & Physiology 12 is recommended.
- English Studies 12/English First Peoples 12 with a minimum C+ (or equivalent)
If you don’t meet the requirements
- Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Resident status
- Evidence of orientation to a veterinary practice (signature of veterinarian required). It is required that applicants complete a minimum two weeks (80 hours) working, volunteering or observing in a veterinary clinic.
- Submission of completed questionnaire
- One reference form from each of the following 3 areas:
- current veterinary orientation site
- other animal related experience site
- any non-veterinary work or volunteer experience
- Submission of result of Language Proficiency Index (LPI) results if applicable
- Attendance at Program Orientation session upon invitation
- Successful medical – upon acceptance
Specific questions about this program?