Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

Other Parking Information

Accessible Parking

Accessible parking stalls are designated in various lots on campus as shown on the map below. They are usually closest to buildings and located in premium lots, but are discounted to the general lot rate. 

To use an accessible space, your vehicle must display either a valid provincial placard, or a short-term placard available from the Parking Office (with an approved doctor’s note).

Along with the placard, you must display a valid parking permit. Use PayByPhone or see Student or  Employee parking to obtain a daily or long-term general permit. Annual permits are available by applying in person at the Parking Office in the Bookstore (CAC building).

Visitor parking lots I, K (close to CAC entrance), P and Q also have metered accessibility spaces.

Motorcycle Parking

Motorcycle parking is available for $12.50 per week (available via e-Permit), or for $2.50 per day (12-hour period) from dispensers in designated motorcycle stalls in parking lots C and W (see the main parking map).

Motorcycle parking permits are only valid in designated motorcycle spaces.

Electric Vehicles

Reserved electric vehicle parking

There are reserved charging stalls on campus for electric vehicles (EV). Reserved stalls for EV parking offer a 25 percent discount on an annual reserved ($1,150) parking permit. To apply, bring your EV vehicle with insurance papers to the TRU Parking Office. The Parking Office will check your insurance papers to confirm that your vehicle is electric and walk you through the reserved permit application process. The reserved EV stalls are located in lot F1 and lot C as shown on the map below.

Contact the Parking Office at 250 828-5368 or by email for more information.

Public electric vehicle parking

Public electric vehicle (EV) parking spaces are located on campus in Lot C (by the Culinary Arts Building), as shown on the map below. General parking rates apply.

Electric Vehicle Charging Stations

Rideshare Carpooling

Share the costs of commuting and parking—sign up for TRU Rideshare to find a carpool buddy or two.

Rideshare is an online app that helps students and employees of TRU quickly and securely find carpool partners, whether you're a driver or passenger. Using your home and campus addresses, Rideshare matches you to other users with similar routes and daily schedules. Your home address will never appear on match lists, and you choose who you contact and how you want to arrange carpooling once you find the right match. There are no costs, obligations or requirements to use Rideshare. You can even use it to find cycling and walking partners!

Check out Rideshare

Bicycle Parking

General Bike Parking

Public bicycle racks are placed in various places around campus, typically near major buildings.

  • South and west entrances to Old Main
  • South of House of Learning
  • North of Science
  • Inside main entrance of BCCOL
  • Near library main entrance
  • Near TRUSU main entrance (north end of CAC)
  • Between IB and AE
  • Main entrance to warehouse

Contractors & Service Vehicles

Service vehicle parking spaces are typically located to have easy access to buildings. Every contractor parking at TRU must apply at the Facilities Office for a service vehicle permit to use those spaces, in addition to purchasing a parking permit. Visit the Facilities Office or contact the Parking Office at 250-828-5368 or by  email for more information.

Vehicles parking in a service vehicle space without displaying valid permits will immediately be subject to a parking violation and/or towing without warning at the owner's risk and expense. Service vehicle permits are issued to authorized service agencies and contractors doing business with TRU, and cannot be used for any other purpose.

Frequently Asked Questions

 How can I pay a fine?

By mail:
Parking Office in the Bookstore or
Financial Cashier, Old Main Building, OM 1614
805 TRU Way
Kamloops, BC
V2C 0C8

Parking Office in the Bookstore or
Financial Cashier, Old Main Building, OM1614

When paying fines online, choose: City of Infraction: BC Interior, Thompson Rivers University.

 How can I appeal a fine?

The TRU Parking Appeal and Advisory Committee (composed of staff, students, faculty, and administrative members) will hear appeals in regard to all parking violations.

Appeals must be presented in writing within 10 calendar days of receipt of the violation notice. There is a $25 appeal fee that must be submitted at the time of the appeal application. The appeal will not be heard by the Appeal Committee without the $25 fee).

If the appeal is successful, the fee will be returned; if unsuccessful, the fee will be used to discharge the ticket. Further information on filing appeals for warnings, fines, or towing is available from the Parking Office.

PAAC Terms of Reference

Parking Appeal Form

 Why can TRU give me a fine?

TRU owns the land on which the campus is located. Users of the campus are permitted to bring vehicles onto the campus, provided they comply with TRU's applicable policies and rules. Any vehicles in violation of these rules are subject to an immediate $25 fine (payable to TRU). By bringing a vehicle onto campus, users accept the application of TRU's applicable policies and rules.

All unpaid fines may be referred to a collection agency and all further violations will result in the vehicle being towed. Towing charges of approximately $110 plus $25 per day thereafter, are set by and payable to the towing company.

Finding Parking
 How many parking stalls are there on campus?

There are over 2,200 parking stalls available at TRU.

 How long does it take to get around campus?

Depending on where you park, and which building you're going to, walking time ranges from a couple of minutes for a building nearby to about 15 minutes between opposite ends of campus.

 How can I improve the odds of finding a parking spot?

Time of day is a key factor affecting the availability of parking. Given that many of the prime locations are full by mid-morning, arriving early or going directly to a lot at the perimeter of campus such as N or W will improve your chances of finding a parking spot immediately.

 Can I park where no signs are posted?

Areas throughout the campus not posted or designated as parking areas are considered No Parking areas.

 What do I do if a meter is not working?

Contact Parking Services at 250-828-5368. Tell us which ticket dispenser or meter is not working, plus your licence plate number. The parking attendant will be notified of the problem.

 What if I need vehicle assistance?

Parker Pete Motorist Assistance offers these complementary services to Impark customers:

  • Need fuel?
  • Keys locked in vehicle?
  • Dead battery?
  • Flat tire?
  • Need a tow?

Call toll-free 1-877-771-PETE (7383). All calls received are coordinated, with services performed by an authorized third-party.

If a tow is required, Impark will make arrangements but you must pay the cost.