Community Legal Clinic

The clinic has moved to downtown Kamloops at 623 Victoria St.

The Thompson Rivers University Community Legal Clinic (TRU CLC) is a project of the TRU Faculty of Law, and is the first student-staffed free legal clinic in the BC Interior. The students work under the guidance of a supervising lawyer, to provide legal assistance and advice in a range of areas to those who would otherwise be unable to afford legal assistance.

The program enables students to use the law as a tool for social justice by working with agencies and local non-profit organizations to improve citizens' access to the justice system, while the students develop skills that will make them better lawyers in the future.

TRU CLC is open several days per week throughout the year when classes are in session at TRU. Clinic hours vary somewhat from week-to-week. Please call 778-471-8490 to book an appointment.

The clinic is also open on a drop-in basis on most Wednesdays from 6-9pm; no appointment is necessary but please call ahead to confirm. There are no drop-in hours in April, August or December.

Who can use the CLC?

The service is free and to be accepted, clients must meet low income financial eligibility requirements. As well, a law student will conduct an initial interview to determine eligibility based on the nature and scope of the client’s issue.

The initial focus of the clinic is on residential tenancy and housing issues—issues arising from individuals living in condos, mobile homes, senior residences, assisted living homes, trailer parks or for those with questions regarding elder abuse.

What types of issues can we help with? TRU CLC is able to assist with various legal issues, including:

  • residential tenancy
  • employment standards
  • small claims (civil claims under $25,000 only)
  • human rights claims
  • consumer protection claims
  • simple wills for estates worth less than $25,000 and that do not contain real property

We can also draft certain types of legal documents, including:

  • demand letters
  • powers of attorney
  • representation agreements
  • advance directives
  • notices of claim and replies to claim (small claims under $25,000 only)

TRU CLC cannot assist with:

  • family law issues or divorce
  • criminal cases
  • business and commercial law
  • real estate and strata matters
  • personal injury claims
  • issues arising from unionized employment 
  • probate or administrative matters
  • any matters within the juristiction of a superior level court
  • impaired driving or traffic offences
  • complaints against dentists, doctors or lawyers

Read: Law clinic officially opens part-time community legal clinic, April 1, 2016
Read: Hands-on learning at Community Legal Clinic, August 18, 2016 
Watch: CFJC Midday, TRU Legal Clinic, October 24, 2016