- Student Network Account
- Emergency Notifications
- Lab Information
- Outlook Email
- Remote Access
- Virtual Course Software & Setup
- Microsoft 365 Student Migration Information
- Tips for Safe Computing
- Protect Your Identity
- Awareness Sessions
- Desktop Security Tools
- Standards & Policies
- Smart Phone Security
- About Us
- Multi Factor Authentication
- Digital Strategy
- Project Management Office
- IT Update Newsletter
This page has been moved to our new Knowledge Base. Information about Password Instructions can be found here.
Network Account Self-Service Password Reset Portal
Your password for MyTRU, Campus Computers, Wi-fi, TRU Student Email, Moodle, and Library Services.
TRU's Self-Service Password Portal allows you to recover your password from any computer or mobile device.
First time logging in?
- Go to: https://myid.tru.ca
- Sign in using your network account login credentials
User Name: Enter your T-ID: T00999999
In the "Login to" field: select "MYTRU"
- Enter your network account password.
New Students, Your temporary password is you birthday in the following
format: TRUddmmmyy (two numbers for day, three letters for month, two numbers for year)
Example: January 1st, 1999 is entered as: TRU01jan99
- Create a new secure password following the secure password rules.
- Click link "Click here to continue" to go to the User Registration page.
- On the User Registration page, enter at least one alternate personal email address then click on "Enroll".
Note: do not use your TRU email address when trying to reset your password.
- Click on "Sign Out" beside the Thompson Rivers University logo.
- You have completed the registration process and are now able to return to this site when necessary to reset your password.
I forgot my password
- Go to https://myid.tru.ca and click on "Reset Password".
On the next screen, enter your User Name. For the second field, ensure "MYTRU" is selected if you are a student. Employees should select "TRU".
- Select your " personal email address" where you want to receive the verification code. Click continue.
You have 5 minutes to complete the verification process. Check your email inbox for an email from email@example.com. Enter the provided verification code in the "Enter Verification Code" page in the Self-Service Password Portal.
- Enter a new password ensuring you follow the secure password policy requirements. Confirm your new password, then click Reset Password. You will see a message if your password has been reset successfully.
Other methods to change your password
Other methods to change your password
On Campus: Log into a lab computer, press Ctrl+Alt+Del on the keyboard from the desktop, and then select the “Change Password” button.
OR Log into http://mywebmail.mytru.ca/ go to 'Options' > 'Change Your Password'.
- it must be between 8 and 20 characters long
- it must be a combination of letters and numbers
- there must be UPPERCASE and lowercase letters
- it is case sensitive
- CAN NOT contain three consecutive letters and/or numbers from your TRU ID
- CAN NOT contain your name or date of birth
Once your new password is set, it will remain in effect for one year.
Which site/system do you need assistance with?
Network account (myTRU, computer login, wireless, Outlook email, remote access and Moodle)
I am a new student. What is my password?
Go to myID and enter your temporary password. Your birthday in the following format: TRUddmmmyy (two numbers for day, three letters for month, two numbers for year)
Example: January 1st, 1993 is entered as: TRU01jan93
Create a new secure password following the secure password rules.
Click link "Click here to continue" to go to the E-mail Recovery Registration page.
I forgot my password. How do I recover it?
- Go to myID and click on Reset Password to have a verification code emailed to you. Enter your T-ID and ensure that "MyTRU" is selected
- Select the personal email address where you want to receive the verification code. Click continue. You have 5 minutes to complete this process.
- Check your email inbox for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org. Enter the provided verification code in the “Enter Verification Code” page in the Self-Service Password Portal.
- Enter a new password ensuring you follow the secure password policy requirements. Confirm your new password, and click Reset Password. You will see a message if your password has been reset successfully.
I know my password but I want to change it.
After logging into any on-campus computer press CTRL + ALT + DEL and select change password
- Log into http://mywebmail.mytru.ca
- Go to Options > Change Your Password
If you have registered a personal email in the TRU Password Reset Portal located at https://myid.tru.ca, you can also reset your password.Reset Password
I've been locked out of my account from too many login attempts
Your account will be re-enabled after approximately 5 minutes at which time you can try logging in again.
I want to setup or modify my email used for password reset.
Setup or Changing your recovery email is easy!
- Go to myID
- Log in with your network account credentials.
- Enter your external email account (gmail, hotmail, etc)
- Click Enroll.
- You are ready to recover your password anytime you forget it.
Minimum password standards for TRU systems
Use a minimum of 8 characters and a combination of CAPITAL LETTERS, lower case letters, and Numbers. Do not use any part of your name, TRU ID or birthdate.
Safeguard your passwords
Safeguard your passwords. Never share your passwords and use ones that are difficult to guess, but easy for you to remember. Strong Passwords should be at least 8 characters long, include a mix of upper and lower case letters, numbers. Remember to change your passwords frequently.