The Alertus System
TRU takes campus safety very seriously. As part of Occupational Health & Safety's Emergency Management Program, IT Services is enhancing our ability to respond in the event of an emergency by installing an emergency notification system on all computers. If there is a campus-wide emergency, an authorized representative of TRU will be able to issue an alert using the Alertus Emergency Notification System. You can be assured that this system will only be used for campus emergencies and initially to test system readiness.
Alertus Software will only work if you are in one of the following TRU Locations:
- TRU Kamloops Campus including PCs or Macs using the TRU wireless networks. You may also download and install the client on PC's or Mac's in the student residence.
- TRU Williams Lake Campus including PC's or Mac's using the TRU wireless networks.
- TRU Vancouver Office
Students, staff, and other campus partners (Daycare, TRUSU, Residence etc.) can install the software on their personal computers so that when connected to the TRU network (including wireless) emergency notifications will be received.
Alternately you can setup notifications to your cell phone see TRU Alerts
Download and install TRU’s Alertus Emergency Notification Client on your Windows PC (XP, Vista, Windows 7 or 8) or Mac OS system.
- Download and install TRU’s Alertus Emergency Notification Client for PC.
- Click “Run”
- Allow your PC to install the client.
- Wait while TRU’s Alertus Emergency Notification Client is downloaded to a temporary folder.
- Click OK
If TRU’s Alertus Emergency Notification Client installed successfully you should see a yellow icon in your system tray. If the icon is red it indicates the Alertus client can’t talk to the Alertus server. This is normal if you are in a non TRU location (see above).
- Download and install TRU’s Alertus Emergency Notification Client for Mac (compressed)
- Save the "Alertus Mac Client.zip" to your Desktop.
- Double click to extract and start the installer.
- Follow the prompts and enter your "Network" (A.D.) user name and password to authenticate the install.
If TRU’s Alertus Emergency Notification Client (Mac) installed successfully you should see a yellow icon on the top right of your screen. If the icon is red it indicates the Alertus client can’t talk to the Alertus server. This is normal if you are in a non TRU location (see above).
The system will work on any system that accesses an active TRU network. For example, your personal laptop connected to the TRU wireless network.
If there is a campus wide emergency an authorized representative of TRU may issue a TRU alert using this Alertus Emergency Notification System. If you have the client installed you will receive this notification.
Click the “Acknowledge” button once you have read the alert.