Desktop Security Tools
Need desktop encryption, anti-virus, link scanner, spyware, password management, or firewall tools? Choose one or more of the items below.
- FREE Sophos Home (recommended) – https://home.sophos.com
- FREE Microsoft Security Essentials - https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=5201
- FREE Anti-Virus Software list from PCMag.com - https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-free-antivirus-protection
- Windows 10 Device Encryption - https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4502379/windows-10-device-encryption
- Mac Device Encryption - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208344
- FREE SafeHouse - http://www.safehousesoftware.com/SafeHouseExplorer.aspx
- Use Windows 10 Pro/BitLocker to Encrypt a USB device - https://www.groovypost.com/howto/encrypt-flash-drive-sd-card-windows-10-bitlocker/
**NOTE** TRU Passwords should never be used for non-TRU systems or services **
- FREE and PAID PCMag.com List of Best Password Managers - https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-password-managers
Secure File Deletion
Note: Permanently deleting files generally requires overwriting the disk location 35 times and takes quite a bit of time.
Other Security Tools
- Check if you have an account that has been compromised in a data breach - https://haveibeenpwned.com/
- Check if the password you’d like to use has been compromised in a data breach - https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords
- Check the strength of the password you’d like to use - https://www.comparitech.com/privacy-security-tools/password-strength-test/
The TRU ITS division provides Sophos EndPoint Security and Control, configures the Microsoft Firewall, automatically updates Microsoft O/S patching, and provides an adware tool for all staff and student lab desktops.
If you are having a problem with your TRU staff desktop, please contact the IT Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-852-6800.
If you are having problems with a Student Lab desktop, please contact Lab Support at email@example.com 250-828-5332.