- Student Network Account
- Emergency Notifications
- Lab Information
- Outlook Email
- Remote Access
- Virtual Course Software & Setup
- Microsoft 365 Student Migration Information
- Tips for Safe Computing
- Protect Your Identity
- Awareness Sessions
- Desktop Security Tools
- Standards & Policies
- Smart Phone Security
- About Us
- Multi Factor Authentication
- Digital Strategy
- Project Management Office
- IT Update Newsletter
Desktop Security Tools
This page has been moved to our new Knowledge Base. Information about Desktop Security Tools can be found here.
Important Update About Sophos Home
As of November 20th 2021, Sophos has discontinued support for their free Home product. If you have this installed and have not upgraded your license your computer will be unprotected. More information on the change and how to upgrade can be found Here.
If you do not wish to continue using this Sophos Home product, follow the uninstall instructions provided by Sophos for Windows 7/8/10 or MacOS X/11/12
Need desktop encryption, anti-virus, link scanner, spyware, password management, or firewall tools? Choose one or more of the items below.
- Sophos Home (recommended) – https://home.sophos.com
- FREE Microsoft Security Essentials - https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=5201
- FREE Anti-Virus Software list from PCMag.com - https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-free-antivirus-protection
- Windows 10 Device Encryption - https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4502379/windows-10-device-encryption
- Mac Device Encryption - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208344
- FREE SafeHouse - http://www.safehousesoftware.com/SafeHouseExplorer.aspx
- Use Windows 10 Pro/BitLocker to Encrypt a USB device - https://www.groovypost.com/howto/encrypt-flash-drive-sd-card-windows-10-bitlocker/
**NOTE** TRU Passwords should never be used for non-TRU systems or services **
- FREE and PAID PCMag.com List of Best Password Managers - https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-password-managers
Secure File Deletion
Note: Permanently deleting files generally requires overwriting the disk location 35 times and takes quite a bit of time.
- Eraser - Free
- DBAN - Free secure disk eraser
- Permanent Eraser - Free Apple file eraser
Other Security Tools
- Check if you have an account that has been compromised in a data breach - https://haveibeenpwned.com/
- Check if the password you’d like to use has been compromised in a data breach - https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords
- Check the strength of the password you’d like to use - https://www.comparitech.com/privacy-security-tools/password-strength-test/
The TRU ITS division provides Sophos EndPoint Security and Control, configures the Microsoft Firewall, automatically updates Microsoft O/S patching, and provides an adware tool for all staff and student lab desktops.
If you are having a problem with your TRU staff desktop, please contact the IT Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-852-6800.
If you are having problems with a Student Lab desktop, please contact Lab Support at email@example.com 250-828-5332.