Remote Access Software & Setup
This page has been moved to our new Knowledge Base. Information about Remote Access Software & Setup can be found here.
Updated: November 5, 2021 at 11:00am (see bottom of page for details regarding updates)
Contractors requesting VPN access will need to have an ASAR submitted for them requesting that an account can be generated for logging into the VPN.
To help us better help you, we strongly encourage you to send your requests to us via email (email@example.com). Issues received via email and phone go into the same queue and are given the same level of priority but email allows us to more efficiently and accurately share your issues with the right technicians.
Remember: if you are currently working off campus please include your contact information.
How to coordinate my requests with IT Services
IT Services is working diligently to help our TRU community transition to working remotely. We appreciate your support as we work through your requests.
To help us serve you better, please complete the following steps:
- Review the software and setup instructions below to determine the resources you need in order to work remotely*
- Discuss your action plan with your Administrative Assistant
- Contact the IT Service Desk via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Provide links to resources you are referring to
- Provide your remote working station contact information
*Before working remotely, please provide your Administrative Assistant with a detailed list of computer serial numbers and items that you are taking with you in order to keep track of all equipment.
**Emailing is the fastest way for us to help you and will save you from waiting through extremely long hold times on the phone. Issues received via email and phone go into the same queue and are given the same level of priority; however, email allows us to more efficiently and accurately share your issues with the right technicians.
Home use of university property
- Employees approved to work from home are responsible for maintaining a suitable and secure off-site workspace.
- This includes, wherever possible, that the employee have a dedicated space within their home that prevents tampering or access by others.
- University property removed by an employee is the responsibility of the employee. Proper measures must be taken in order to ensure the property is safe from damage or theft.
- When transporting University property, it is best to do so using an appropriate container. For example, using a laptop or messenger bag when carrying equipment outside.
- Avoid leaving electronic devices in unattended vehicles. If this is unavoidable, ensure the device is adequately hidden.
- Ensure that home WIFI networks are property secured with a password and avoid using publicly accessible networks as they may grant others access to your information.
- If data must be stored on external hardware, ensure that the hardware contains password encryption. Once stored, be sure to stow in a safe and secure place.
- Because of the sensitive and confidential information which is accessible through University equipment, use by non-employees is strictly prohibited.
Operating System and Anti-Virus Updates
TRU Desktops and Laptops will continue to receive Windows, Mac and Sophos Endpoint client updates while off campus. Restart your machine once a week to ensure these are applied properly.
Phishing and Suspect Emails
Malicious actors are going to use these uncertain times to their advantage, and try to slip something past us in emails. Forward any suspicious emails to email@example.com and we’ll check them out for you.
Personal Computer Protection
Ensure you have an up-to-date Antivirus Program installed on your computer. Sophos Home is recommended if you do not already have one.
More tips and tricks available at https://www.tru.ca/its/infosecurity.html
Virtual Private Network (VPN) - ONLY required for Banner and H & O drives
Virtual Private Network (VPN)
Do you require access to O Drive, H Drive or Banner? If yes, and you do not already have VPN access, please follow these instructions to connect to the VPN.
DO NOT stay connected throughout the entire working day, because this may overload the server.
We request staff and faculty to complete their work in Banner promptly before disconnecting. Review the details in the H & O drive section with respect to VPN use.
Email (Outlook Webmail)
When off campus, faculty and staff should access their email via Outlook webmail.
TRU provides OneTRU as an option to collaborate and communicate with your coworkers. Using SharePoint you can create and edit documents in real-time, and store and share project plans and departmental data with your team. Within OneTRU there are several support videos and documents to help you expand your SharePoint knowledge.
At TRUemployee you can find information about important campus announcements, timesheet submissions and approvals, tax and paystub information, leave balances, and benefits. In addition, you can purchase items online using a Web Requisition function and access financial information through FAST. Please visit TRUemployee for more features.
Desktop video collaboration tools utilizes software installed on your computer to host remote conferences using a microphone and a webcam.
Review more information on individual tools and a comparison matrix.
Faculty and staff with a university owned laptop may choose to take their device home to work from home.
Departments may choose to permit faculty and staff to take home their desktop computers including all relevant cables as circumstances demand.
In this event, it is strongly preferred that the individual sets up their own computer at home. If you proceed with transferring your desktop computer home, please be sure to take photos of your current desktop setup (including cables in the back) before beginning this transition for your own reference.
Please view the desktop setup instructions.
Maintaining Equipment Inventory
Each department's Administrative Assistant is to maintain an inventory of computer equipment sent home including the description and serial numbers of the equipment. The Administrative Assistant is also to document and make note of when equipment items are returned.
TRU does not have the inventory to duplicate equipment for staff and faculty if they choose to work both from home and on campus. Vendors are also currently unable to provide deliver times due to COVID-19.
If new equipment is needed to support working from home, please contact the IT Service Desk with the specific item (provide links) you are wanting to purchase. However, please be advised there may be considerable wait times.
You may be able to use your personal computer at home in some cases. Ensure that your virus protection is up-to-date and that your internet connection is secure. Please be advised that IT Services is unable to provide support for this until further notice.
- Review anti-virus information
- Ensure your OS is up-to-date and has been patched
- You must be the only user of the computer, which cannot be shared with other family members.
- Validate that you have a secure internet connection by using a password to access your Wi-Fi
- Use VPN ONLY when necessary to complete your work (we have a limited number of VPN spaces available). Disconnect when you are finished needing to be connected.
It is preferred that callers contact staff and faculty directly on their cellphones to minimize load on the system. Please update your voicemail greeting to direct people to contact you on your cellphone following these instructions.
To access voicemail off campus:
- Phone your regular office number.
- While the greeting is playing, press * button (depending on mailbox setup, you may have to listen to entire greeting).
- Enter your password when prompted.
- All menu options are the same as regular access.
Please DO NOT forward your desk phone calls to your cellphone unless absolutely required. This will overload the phone system and result in less available connections.
H & O Drives
You can connect to H & O drives using the VPN.
For personal computers, follow the map your network drive instructions.
Your use must be brief to ensure it does not overload the VPN.
The best practice is to connect, download and upload your files, then disconnect.
Digital signature tools utilizes either web based or software installed on your computer to enable you to sign a document electronically.
Review more information on individual digital signature tools.
TRU Employees can use Office 365 online with browser-based applications and can download applications to personal devices for free!
TRU Employees have free online storage connected to their Office 365 accounts. Files can be shared with others (view only or edit access).
You may need a headset if you are connecting to online meetings. Desktops do not have microphones, however laptops often do. If the sound quality on your laptop is not good, there is usually an option to call into meetings using your cellphone.
If you do not have a headset, then IT Services has a LIMITED supply that will be vetted prior to being provided. Please speak with your Administrative Assistant about ordering one yourself to be reimbursed at a later date.
Newer laptops come with webcams, but older models and desktops do not. A webcam will allow you to join video conferences. If you do not have a webcam, IT Services has a LIMITED supply that will be vetted prior to being provided.
If you need to purchase a webcam for yourself, please speak with your administrative assistant about ordering one (to be reimbursed at a later date). Look for one with a microphone unless you already have a headset with a microphone.
We have a contract for audio teleconferencing services from Bell. For more information, please visit Audio Conferencing Services for Bell.
TRU COVID-19 Updates
TRU recognizes many individuals within our university community have questions regarding COVID-19 (formerly known as novel coronavirus). Link to full TRU related announcements
This resource page was created to help higher education institutions plan for possible campus disruptions by COVID-19. It provides up-to-date information on campus closures and resources for how the higher education community is responding with business continuity plans and resources for working remotely.
The IT Service Desk is available to help you set up and resolve technical issues so you can keep working. As always, you can email us at ITServiceDesk@tru.ca. However, due to the increased volume of requests please expect delays.
May 5, 2020 10:00am - Digital Signatures