- Do not walk or run alone late at night.
- Stay in well-lit areas. Walk midpoint between curbs and buildings, try not to use alleys or less travelled routes between buildings, and avoid bushes.
- Stay near people and avoid taking short cuts alone though vacant lots and other deserted places.
- Carry only necessary credit cards and money.
- Do not stop to provide strangers with directions or information, especially at night.
- Do not use a personal stereo system or play music so loudly that you can't hear what is going on around you.
- Walk with someone else whenever possible and set up a buddy system with your friends.
If you suspect you are being followed:
- Be suspicious. Keep looking behind you so the person knows you cannot be surprised.
- Cross the street or change direction.
- Go to a well-lit area, enter a building: anywhere there are people and phones.
- Approach Security and request help.
- Notice and remember as much as possible.
- Report the incident to TRU Security and/or the RCMP.