Leave a Legacy
Complete the form below to learn more about legacy giving
What will your TRU legacy be?
You don’t need to be wealthy to leave a legacy—and you can start now. Including charitable giving in your estate planning is easier than you think. By planning for the future, you can better understand your capacity to make a difference and ensure your impact is exactly what you intended. We can help. We can connect you with financial advisors and professional resources to help you make decisions about your ability to give and your legacy.
What to consider
- Your intention: In what ways would you like to have an impact?
- Purpose of the gift: What do you want your donation to support? Do not leave it to the charity to decide.
- Choose whether you’d like your gift to be effective in perpetuity (endowed) or to support immediate needs.
- Talk to the charity: Tell us about your wishes before taking further action. As part of the process, it will be important to talk to your lawyer, accountant and financial planner as you’re deciding about a legacy gift. It is equally important to talk to us.
- When making plans, please ensure you look after yourself first, your family second, and your community third.
What are my options?
- Bequest: Once the needs of you and your loved ones are met, leave a lasting legacy to the university with a donation in your will.
- Life insurance: Make a gift the affordable way by naming TRU as the owner and beneficiary of a new or existing policy.
- Securities: Support education with a gift of publicly traded stocks or securities, receive a charitable tax receipt and pay no capital gains tax (by transfer of stock only).
- Registered Retirement Funds: Donate the funds in your RRSP/RRIF to Thompson Rivers University (either through your will or by making the university the beneficiary).
What we can offer
Contact us to learn more about leaving a legacy and connect with professional partners to start planning for the future. Our goal is to ensure that your legacy gift is managed and administered according to your wishes.
As members of the Canadian Association of Gift Planners, we partner with professionals from all walks of life: lawyers, accountants and financial planners.
- We will invest your gift wisely.
- We will ensure that your gift has a lasting impact.
- We will honour your generosity.
There are a thousand ways to make a legacy gift. Please contact us to find the most tax-effective way to do so.
ContactNena Jocic-Andrejevic, BA, CFRE
Director of Planned Giving and Stewardship
Thompson Rivers University
250-371-5702 | Cell: 250-319-0224
CT150, 805 TRU Way, Kamloops BC V2C 0C8