Hotel and Vehicle Rental
Thompson Rivers University has made a corporate decision to participate in the Provincial Corporate Supply Arrangement (CSA). Under this agreement, TRU faculty and staff traveling on university business can take advantage of rates negotiated by the provincial government for accommodation and vehicle rentals in British Columbia.
TRU is also a member of the Canadian Association of University Business Officers (CAUBO) and can access negotiated corporate rates for accommodation and vehicle rentals for both in-province and out-of-province travel.
Travellers can take advantage of government negotiated corporate rates under the CSA when traveling in-province at http://csa.pss.gov.bc.ca/businesstravel/
Out-of-province (including international travel)
As a a member of CAUBO, negotiated corporate rates can be found at http:/www.caubo.ca/supplier_contracts/hotels.
Vehicle Rental - Short Term:
The CSA for Daily Vehicle Rentals is for short term rentals (up to 30 days) of light vehicles within British Columbia and is restricted to business travel only. The CSA is designed to direct the renter to the lowest cost vehicle for the area in which travel is intended.
Renters are expected to rent the appropriate vehicle for the terrain/road conditions to be encountered. It is suggested that TRU employees use the most economical, fuel-efficient, and “green” mode of transportation suitable for their needs.
*** Please note: if you are renting a vehicle that has the capacity to carry more than 10 people including the driver, $10M third party liability coverage is required. As the CSA does not allow for this liability limit, this type of vehicle rental will need to be arranged outside of the CSA and the necessary liability coverage must be purchased from the rental agency.
Faculty or staff members who transport students must complete a Driver Information Form (regardless of vehicle type). This form can be found on the Finance webpage under Forms.
In-Province Vehicle Rental:
(For vehicles rented within BC or rented in and returned to BC)
Daily rental suppliers by location covered under the CSA (including Corporate ID Number listings) can be viewed here (Click Vendors by location)
When making your reservations:
• You must provide the Corporate ID Number listed for the applicable rental agency. (Please Note: The Corporate ID is different for every rental agency.) This number can be found through the link above and examples for Kamloops agencies are are in the following table:
|Kamloops Airport||Fulton Field||Budget Rent a Car||888 368-7368||A162000|
|Kamloops South||820 Notre Dame Drive||Budget Rent a Car||888 368-7368||A162000|
|Kamloops Downtown||100 Victoria Street||Budget Rent a Car||250 374-8288||A162000|
|Williams Lake Airport||Main Terminal||National Car Rental||250-989-4261||3614638|
|Williams Lake||665 Oliver St.||Ron Ridley Rentals
(Ask for CSA rates)
• Using the Corporate ID Number will result in the terms and conditions of the CSA including correct rates and insurance coverage being applied to the rental contract.
• Rental agencies are not responsible to provide the Corporate ID number. This is the responsibly of the renter.
• Failure to provide the Corporate ID Number may result in the renter being denied the agreed rates, insurance coverage and other terms under the CSA.
DO NOT accept special rate offers unless the rental agency provides you with written assurance that the terms and conditions of the CSA will apply.
There are three ways to access government rates provided under the CSA:
1. Using your TRU purchasing card - All vehicles rented under a TRU purchasing card will automatically provide government negotiated rates and insurance coverage under the CSA contract as these details have been arranged by TRU Procurement Services. It is your responsibility to:
(a) Provide the Corporate ID number; and
(b) Ensure that the vehicle you are renting qualifies under the CSA plan
2. Personal Credit Card – It is your responsibility to:
(a) Ensure the rental agency is aware you are carrying out the business of the university and you are entitled to government negotiated rates and insurance coverage under the CSA plan;
(b) Provide the Corporate ID number; and
(c) Ensure that the vehicle you are renting qualifies under the CSA plan
3. Using a TRU Purchase Order - All vehicles rented under a TRU purchase order will automatically provide government negotiated rates and insurance coverage under the CSA contract.
Insurance Coverage (CSA in-province rentals)
All required insurance is already included for in-province business travel when vehicles are rented under the CSA for Daily Vehicle Rentals and include:
• A minimum of $2M third party liability coverage; and
• Collision and comprehensive coverage for the amounts greater than the deductibles
For vehicles rented under the CSA DO NOT:
• Accept any insurance offers made by the rental company;
• Purchase Collision Damage Waiver/Loss Damage Waiver coverage;
• Purchase Personal Injury/Accident Insurance; and
• Purchase Cargo Insurance or Personal Effect Insurance
Out-of-Province and Non-CSA Vehicle Rentals:
(For vehicles rented out-of-province, out-of-country or from locations in BC that do not have a CSA supplier.)
As a a member of CAUBO, negotiated corporate rates for out-of-province vehicle rentals can be found at https://www.caubo.ca/discover-caubo/member-discounts/car-rentals/
When renting a vehicle out-of-province or through a non-CSA rental location:
• Try to use a national chain company;
• If possible, use the Corporate ID Number when asking for a discounted rental rate; and
• If you are under age 25 ask what their minimum age requirements are. Some agencies will not rent to anyone under 25 or there may be an extra charge for under-age drivers.
Insurance Coverage (out-of-province and non-CSA rentals)
Be sure to purchase:
• Collision Damage Waiver; and
• A minimum of $2MM third party liability coverage. If the 3rd party liability coverage offered by the rental company is less than $2MM, please ask to purchase additional 3rd party liability coverage to bring up the total coverage to $2M (if possible).
***NEW ADDITIONAL INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS FOR OUT-OF-PROVINCE VEHICLE RENTALS - PLEASE PURCHASE:
Please note that this insurance only covers driving in Canada and the U.S. Failure to buy this coverage may result in an accident being recorded against your personal car insurance. If you purchase the APV281 coverage you do not need to purchase the collision damage waiver or third party liablity coverage from the rental company.
DO NOT purchase:
• Personal Injury/Accident Insurance; and
• Cargo Insurance or Personal Effect Insurance
Vehicle Rental - Long Term (over 30 days)
For vehicle rentals over 30 days, lease/rental arrangements should be made through Purchasing.
Insurance coverage for rentals over 30 days but less than three months should be purchased through the rental agency and should include:
- Collision Damage Waiver; and
- A minimum of $2M third party liability coverage (If the third party liability coverage offered is $1MM or less, purchase additional insurance to increase the level of coverage to $2MM.)
DO NOT purchase:
- Personal Injury/Accident Insurance; and
- Cargo Insurance or Personal Effect Insurance
Insurance coverage for rentals over three months can either be arranged through Facilities (to be added to TRU Fleet insurance) or purchased through the rental agency. If purchasing through the rental agency please purchase insurance as outlined above.
For in-province short term rentals, should a claim arise do not allow the rental agency to put damage charges through on your credit card as claims for damage are not to be added to the rental contract. Instead ask the rental agency to send an invoice to the university, c/o Risk Management Services.
All accidents and claims should be reported to Risk Management Services at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send photographs of the damage, a copy of the paperwork from the rental agent recording the damage and a short report describing the trip for which the vehicle was rented and how the damage occurred.