Skip to main contentSkip Navigation or Skip to Content

Private Vehicle & Mileage Rates

Private Automobile:

Travel by private automobile may be necessary to save time, transport equipment, reduce costs, or when a number of persons are travelling together.

It is the responsibility of each employee to keep track of their mileage. The Finance Division maintains a list of average mileage to commonly travelled destinations. On long distance trips, the lesser of $0.50 per kilometre travelled or airfare equivalent is paid.  Trips outside of Canada, the lessor of $0.50 U.S. per kilometer travelled or airfare equivalent is paid.

When daily travel distance exceeds 150 km (about the cost of a daily vehicle rental) the staff member should request travel by rental vehicle.

In order to facilitate travel claim processing and ease of employee tracking, fixed rates for travel to Vancouver/Lower Mainland and Victoria have been established. The rates do not include ferry charges. Any significant business travel around each area should be shown separately and explanation provided on the expense report, and will be reimbursed at the $0.50/km rate.

The vehicle operator is responsible for paying parking fines, traffic violation fines, and impoundment / towing fees when driving a leased, rented, personal vehicle, or TRU vehicle on TRU business.

Distance Chart (in kilometres)

These are the shortest one-way routes over signed highways, and do not include travel by ferry. These distances were supplied by the Ministry of Highways.

(km , 1.61 = miles)

From Kamloops to:

Abbotsford 320 Edmonton 800 Osoyoos 288
Anahim Lake 608 Falkland 77 Peachland 188
Armstrong 116 Golden 357 Pentiction 231
Ashcroft 95 Gold Bridge 260 Princeton 175
Banff 492 Hanceville 377 Prince George 529
Barriere 63 Hope 204 Quesnel 409
Blue River 274 Jasper 439 Redstone 465
Boston Bar 217 Kelowna ** 163 Revelstoke 209
Cache Creek 84 Lillooet 165 Riske Creek 340
Calgary 620 Little Fort 93 Salmon Arm 107
Campbell River 512 Logan Lake 68 Seattle 464
Castlegar 453 Lytton 169 Spences Bridge 137
Chase 57 Merritt ** 87 Summerland 213
Chilliwack 248 Nanaimo ** 363 Trail 472
Clearwater 124 100 Mile House 198 Vancouver ** 355
Clinton 113 108 MIle 211 Vernon 116
Cranbrook 607 150 MIle 290 Victoria ** 393
Creston 518 Nelson 454 Williams Lake ** 289
Dawson Creek 931 Nimpo Lake 585    

** see fixed rates

The fixed rates are as follows:

From the Kamloops campus to:

LocationFixed Rate
Kelowna $140.00
Lillooet $140.00
Merritt $70.00
Nanaimo $350.00*
100 Mile House $170.00
Vancouver $350.00
Victoria $350.00*
Williams Lake $260.00

*Receipts for ferry transportation are reimbursable and are not part of the fixed kilometric rate*

From the Williams Lake campus to:

LocationFixed Rate
Kamloops $260.00
100 Mile House $90.00
Nanaimo $495.00*
Vancouver $495.00
Victoria $495.00*

*Receipts for ferry transportation are reimbursable and are not part of the fixed kilometric rate*

Private Vehicle Damage Reimbursement

A)    Where an employee's private vehicle is damaged as a result of an accident while in use on TRU business, TRU will reimburse the lesser of actual vehicle damage cost or the employee's vehicle insurance deductible, to a maximum of $500 per occurrence. Repairs must be completed prior to submitting a claim. The exception to the above will be for negligence.

B)    Employees are required to provide the following documentation, if applicable, in support of their claim:

  • A covering letter outlining the circumstances of the damage, signed by the employee and the employee's supervisor, to verify the use of the vehicle on TRU business
  • A copy of the police report, if applicable
  • A copy of the employee's insurance documents (Owner's Certificate(s) of Insurance), showing a minimum of $500,000 third party liability coverage;
  • A copy of ICBC repair estimate, or, if ICBC coverage did not apply, copies of estimates from two (2) repair shops;
  • A copy of the receipt for repair, if not repaired through ICBC; and
  • A copy of the receipt for payment of the deductible portion of the loss.

C)    Claims are to be sent to Risk Management Services at for review.

Search To Top