Skip to main contentSkip Navigation or Skip to Content

Travel Handbook

Reminder:  All travel outside of Canada is considered INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL and must have prior approval of the appropriate signing authority.  Please fill out the "International Travel Pre-Authorization Request Form" found here before you travel and have it signed by the appropriate person.

TRU uses a single travel provider for all travel outside of Canada. This policy ensures the safety of travelers and applies to all TRU travel by faculty, staff and administration.  Costs for travel outside of Canada will only be reimbursed if purchased through Corporate Traveller.

A single travel provider helps achieve cost savings and better service standards.

Corporate Traveller is our travel provider and their services include transportation, lodging, car rental and other travel related services such as:

  • Pre-trip travel risk assessment
  • Real time travel alerts and advisories
  • Worldwide event monitoring of issues arising such as natural disasters/political coups
  • Traveler tracking and assisting traveler rescue and/or rescheduling

For the purposes of creating reservations and guaranteeing travel arrangements for international travel booked through Corporate Traveller, your personal information will be collected and stored outside Canada.  Any questions relating to Corporate Traveller and their services should be directed to the Purchasing Clerk at 250-828-5385,, or by post to:  TRU Procurement Services, 805 TRU Way, Kamloops, BC, V2C 0C8.

Corporate Traveller contact information

For after hours emergency travel assistance the phone number is 778-783-0390.

Trips to high risk destinations ßshould be reviewed and approved by the respective VP before booking, and contingency plans prepared if necessary.

If you have any queries about international travel insurance or need additional assistance with travel risk management including contingency plans please contact Risk Management Services at

Please note that there are two TRU Expense Policies and can be viewed at:
Expenses: Travel
Expenses: Entertainment, Hosting and Hospitality

Introduction and purpose

This information should be helpful when used as a reference for travel-related questions and reflects current operational policies and procedures.

Travel supported by research grants or contracts must comply with TRU regulations and policies, unless indicated otherwise by the granting agency. When contemplating travel funded by research accounts, it is important to understand the guidelines that must be followed. A review of the agency policy guide book or terms of the contract will usually indicate the procedure to be followed.

Timing of payments — travel advances or expenses

Direct deposit payments (employees only) are processed weekly on Tuesday for payment on Friday.  However, it can take 2-3 weeks to process a travel advance or travel reimbursement from the time it is received in Finance.

If you require a travel advance, please submit your request at least 6 weeks prior to departure.  Advance payments will be produced approximately two weeks prior to your departure.  Emergency travel requiring "rush" advances should be brought to the Manager, Accounting-Financial Services with a proper explanation and will be processed as soon as possible.  Not all rush requests may be approved.

All requisitions should be properly supported, coded and approved.  Missing supporting documents, coding or approvals will delay the processing of the travel request.

Search To Top