Petty cash requisitions
The petty cash reimbursement process may be used to reimburse employees for the purchase of miscellaneous, minor expenses of $150 or less, for which it would not be practicable to issue cheques. Petty cash requisitions cannot be used for the payment of salaries, wages, fuel or travel related expenditures.
Reimbursements must be done using the appropriate petty cash reimbursement form, and with the appropriate sign-off by a supervisor with budgetary authorization over the department incurring the expense.
The completed form including original receipt as proof of purchase can be brought to the campus cashier for reimbursement.
Petty cash requisitions must be presented in-person by the individual who incurred the expense.
The campus cashier will process one transaction per day, not to exceed $150.
Petty cash floats
Divisions with an authorized petty cash float on hand may use petty cash funds for payment of minor expenses for which it would not be practicable to issue cheques. The purchase of material and services which do not exceed $150 per transaction may be made from the petty cash fund. These funds cannot be used for the payment of salaries, wages, fuel, and travel related expenses. The funds cannot be used to cash cheques or to grant loans.
Petty cash funds must be kept under lock and key in an appropriate cash box under the control of one person only. Each fund is subject to audit at any time and must always contain the correct balance in cash and/or vouchers and receipts. Each custodian is responsible for their petty cash fund.
Income derived from any source must be handed into the Campus Cashier and recorded as revenue. It cannot be used to replenish the petty cash fund.
At the time of purchase, please ensure that you obtain an original receipt, either in the form of an invoice or cash register receipt. Every disbursement must be supported by an original receipt. Please provide an explanation of the purchase on this document.
If reimbursing an employee for expenses incurred, please ensure the petty cash reimbursement is signed by someone with budgetary authorization, and the original receipt is attached.
Other information about petty cash
- Complete date, department, name of person to be reimbursed/paid, and amount to be reimbursed, including PST and GST.
- Per budgetary authorization forms, approval is normally required at a chairperson level. Please check with your chairperson to determine if there are any other authorized employees in your department.
- Your chairperson will be able to provide the correct account code when he/she authorizes the purchase.
- Attach original itemized receipt to form.
- Travel and entertainment expenses shall normally be claimed using a travel expense form. Where entertainment expenses are claimed, they must be supported by the inclusion of the name of the guest or group, and the purpose of the occasion. Any payment chargeable to a research grant or against the budget of another department, must be approved by an authorized individual of the grant and the department respectively.
- Reimbursement can be received at the following cashiers' counters, upon presentation of a properly completed, approved, coded and receipted form: Kamloops - Old Main Building, Cashier; Williams Lake - Main Front Office.
- When making purchases from the Bookstore, use an IDI form (interdepartmental invoice) to get a 25 percent saving. When petty cash is used, the full price is paid.