Insurance Coverage

October 2012

Insurance/Risk Management Overview

Liability Insurance

Liability insurance for Thompson Rivers University (TRU) is provided through a self-insuring program by the Ministry of Advanced Education that is entitled Universities, Colleges and Institutes Protection Program (UCIPP). UCIPP Administers TRU's liability insurance coverage.

Liability Coverage will be extended to the following groups but only with respect to liability arising from activities approved by TRU:

Employees - while performing their duties

Volunteers - volunteer workers while performing their assigned volunteer duties on behalf of TRU. Volunteers should be registered and their assigned duties documented. To clarify, volunteers are NOT paid.

Students - while the students are directly supervised and instructed in activities that form part of the applicable curriculum of studies. The specific circumstances of an incident would determine if and when coverage would be extended to a student. However, coverage is generally extended to a student when the institution/instructor is responsible for the event giving rise to the claim and the student is included in the legal action. If the action is only brought against a student, coverage is not provided.

Additional information regarding coverage under UCIPP can be found in the Employees' Handbook/Guide to UCIPP Coverage All queries about TRU's insurance program, or any reports about incidents or possible claims should be sent to Risk Management Services at  Individuals should not contact UCIPP directly on any matter as all contact with UCIPP is through Risk Management Services.
WorksafeBC - Student Practicum

WorksafeBC coverage is extended to all students while on apprenticeship, practicum placement or work experience in the province of BC that is a completion requirement for their program.

"A practicum is defined as:

- An assigned work experience component of a program which is sanctioned by the institution; and
- unpaid and supervised work experience which takes place at the host employer's premises or place of business."

Coverage does not extend to sites established specifically for the purpose of experiential training in a program (e.g., a training centre), nor does it extend to out-of-province placements.  Workers compensation arrangements for students in practicums inside Canada but outside of BC vary depending on provincial regulations.  Coverage may not be possible in all cases.  In some provinces TRU is able to purchase coverage from the province's workers compensation board at a small cost.  In other cases the placement provider may be able to include the student in their own coverage.

To confirm coverage for your students, please contact Risk Management Services at   

Only students in approved apprenticeship programs have WorksafeBC coverage for apprentices during classroom, lab, and shop instruction. 
Student Accident Insurance

Thompson Rivers University has arranged an Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance Plan to cover all registered students who are actively attending classes or participating in a TRU approved course or activity. This insurance provides coverage of up to $25,000 for certain types of injuries as well as certain medical expenses resulting from a specified list of injuries or illnesses.

Coverage is in effect for all eligible students while on TRU property/premises, participating in an approved TRU activity or travelling directly to or from a TRU approved or organized activity. There is no coverage for students who are attending a course which is not part of an authorized designation and no coverage for students who do not physically attend classes on a campus of TRU.

This coverage does not replace medical insurance coverage under the Province of BC's Medical Services Plan (MSP) and all students are expected to provide their own medical insurance coverage.

It is highly recommended that students who will be travelling out of country while attending TRU purchase additional medical coverage for out-of-country travel.

Hotels and Vehicle Rentals

Thompson Rivers University participates in the Provincial Corporate Supply Arrangement (CSA). Under this agreement, TRU's faculty and staff traveling on university business can take advantage of rates negotiated by the provincial government for accommodation and vehicle rentals in British Columbia.

TRU is also a member of the Canadian Association of University Business Officers (CAUBO) and can access negotiated corporate rates for accommodation and vehicle rentals for both in-province and out-of-province travel.

Detailed information on CSA and CAUBO hotel rates and vehicle rentals (including vehicle rental insurance requirements) can be found in the TRU Travel Handbook at

Please note the CSA requires that vehicle renters must be at least 19 years old and have a full class 5 driver's licence.

For rentals exceeding one month, please make rental arrangements through Purchasing and they will coordinate rental and insurance requirements.

Field Trip Protocol:

Instructors must investigate IN ADVANCE the risks and benefits associated with any planned field trips. It is suggested that instructors provide students with a safety orientation for field trips that involved out-of-town travel.

Prior to departure, students must complete an informed consent form (for mandatory field trips) or a waiver form (for voluntary activities). Instructors must itemize the risks on the appropriate form or list the risks on an attachment to the form. Please note that there are special forms for minors and for trips that involve international travel. There are special liability concerns for any travel by minors.

Transporting Students:

When faculty/staff transport students in their private vehicle they must:

- complete a driver information form that discloses an acceptable class of licence and driving history and deliver the completed form to their Dean. The driver information form can be found on the Finance website under Forms;

- be insured for business coverage with adequate amounts of coverage (note ICBC allows for six days per month of business use coverage under regular personal vehicle insurance coverage);

- ICBC must be their primary vehicle insurance coverage provider; and

- carry a minimum of $2M in third party liability coverage ($5M is highly recommended).

When faculty/staff transport students in a rental vehicle or TRU owned vehicle they must:

- complete a driver information form that discloses an acceptable class of licence and driving history and deliver the completed form to their Dean. The driver information form can be found on the Finance website under Forms;

- when renting a vehicle in BC, advise the rental company that you are on TRU business and TRU is covered under the Provincial CSA to ensure you receive the correct rental rate and insurance coverage as per the TRU Travel Handbook;

- if using a rental vehicle that has the capacity to carry more than 10 people including the driver, a class 4 driver's licence is required. For insurance coverage, $10M third party liability coverage is needed. As the CSA does not allow for this liability limit, this type of vehicle rental will need to be arranged outside of the CSA. Please contact Purchasing and they will coordinate the rental and insurance requirements.

TRU does not endorse the use of 15-passenger vans unless operated by a driver who is trained in the safe operation of a 15-passenger van and a minimum of $10M in third party liability insurance coverage is carried.

Student Drivers:

On the recommendation of their faculty supervisor, students (or research assistants) who may need to use their own, their instructor's or TRU's vehicles for educational/research purposes are permitted to drive and are considered volunteer drivers. These drivers need to provide their faculty supervisor with the following documents:

- a completed Driver Information Form;
- a current copy of their driver's abstract (obtainable from that discloses an acceptable driving history;
- a copy of the student's valid class 5 driver's licence;
- a copy of their auto insurance papers (for personal vehicles only) which confirms third party liability coverage of at least $2M ($5M is highly recommended) and if they are transporting other students their third party liability coverage must be at least $5M; and
- be insured for business use coverage with adequate amounts of coverage (note ICBC allows for six days per month of business use coverage under regular personal vehicle insurance coverage).

The faculty supervisor must keep these documents on file.

It should be noted that when using a private vehicle for TRU business, the driver is responsible to pay his/her ICBC insurance or private insurance deductibles, loss of safe driving discounts, traffic fines and to pay for any damage or injury for which they are liable.

International Travel - Faculty and Staff

It is recommended that faculty and staff check with the extended health coverage provider regarding the limits of coverage while travelling outside of Canada (for either business or personal travel). It is up to the individual to decide if additional medical insurance needs to be purchased prior to departure. It is also recommended that any faculty or staff who are travelling outside of Canada on TRU's business and who may be driving a vehicle outside Canada check with ICBC regarding the applicability of their automobile insurance coverage. It is up to the individual to decide if additional automobile insurance needs to be purchased prior to departure.

International Travel - Students

It is recommended that students who will be travelling out-of-country while attending TRU purchase additional medical coverage and automobile insurance (if the student will be driving an automobile) for out-of-country travel.

Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy

Thompson Rivers University collects and maintains personal information of students for the purpose of admission, registration and other activities related to being a member of the TRU community. Personal information is defined as recorded information about an identifiable individual.

When applying for admission as a student, all applicants are advised that both (i) any personal information they provide and (ii) any other personal information generated by TRU about them will be protected and used for the purposes of admission, registration, record keeping and for uses as consistent with those purposes in compliance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA).

In accordance with TRU's Privacy Statement (, TRU collects information about its students and employees to, among other purposes listed in the Privacy Statement, allow the employees and TRU to communicate, register for and participate in courses, to conduct research and analysis, use TRU's facilities and computer systems and to administer employment benefits and payroll.

Students' rights to privacy are governed by the FIPPA. Parents are not entitled to access a student's information from TRU including information from professors/instructors/TRU staff without the prior written consent of the student except in compelling circumstances affecting the student's health and safety.

Caution should be used when emailing personal information outside the TRU email system and it is recommended that documents containing personal information should either be faxed or emailed encrypted and correctly addressed. If encrypting, please be sure to send the password to access the encrypted document in a separate email. TRU and the sender of the email could be liable under FIPPA if the email is delivered to the wrong recipient.

Inquiries about privacy and requests for access to records should be sent to

If you have any questions about this overview, please call Laurel Wale in the office of the Vice-President, Administration and Finance at (250)828-5012 or by email at

Search To Top