Education and Social Work Menu
ESL Scholarships and Awards
Christie Cole Memorial Fund
An annual award of $1,000 to be awarded to a mature (female) single parent enrolled at TRU after an absence of a minimum three years away from educational studies. For further information, please go to Christie Cole Memorial Fund.
ESL Scholarship Award
The ESL department at Thompson Rivers University is proud to facilitate an ESL scholarship endowment award for international students.
Students can be nominated by an ESL teacher or they can self nominate ensuring that they meet the following criteria:
- The student must have a minimum of three ESL courses in each of the semesters that they have attended or are attending at TRU.
- To be nominated the student must be taking at least one course in the ESL department in the semester they receive the award.
- The student must demonstrate a good work ethic in the classroom and possibly beyond the classroom by fulfilling such things as: doing all the work assigned in class, displaying good attendance, contributing to class discussions and group work and handing in quality work.
- The student cannot be a fully funded/sponsored student.
- The student must have an average of B+ in all completed ESL classes or a worthy candidate may be selected at the discretion of the committee.
This award would not have been possible without the support of the TRU and greater Kamloops communities.
Susanna Fawkes Memorial Award
This is an annual award of $800 given to a student currently enrolled in the ESL program in good academic standing. Preference is given to a student who demonstrates one or more of the following: a) dedication to their studies, b) caring for others, c) ambition, d) love of reading, e) artistic.
Apply by Oct. 1 to the ESL Awards Committee with a 500-word description of one of the following:
- How reading and/or art has influenced or changed your life.
- Ways that you care for others through humanitarian actions or volunteerism.
- Ways you have demonstrated ambition.
Service-Learning and Volunteerism Award
This award of $1,000 is presented annually to a student enrolled at Thompson Rivers University who meets these criteria:
Volunteerism — have a minimum of 100 hours of documented volunteer service (through shift records, supervisor letters, etc.) in the past two calendar years.
Course work — have successfully completed a minimum of six credits of service-learning course work and/or project work at TRU. Current courses engaging students in service-learning opportunities are: SRCL 1 000, SERV 3000, SERV 4000 (provide an unofficial transcript from your myTRU account). The student can also ask a TRU instructor to write a letter describing a service-learning project completed through another course.
Commitment and engagement — have demonstrated continued commitment to and engagement in volunteer service (maximum of 500 words). Preference given to a student with a minimum GPA of 2.67
Apply directly to email@example.com.
In the fall of 2019, Sakshi Kanwar was the first recipient of this award.