Education and Social Work Menu
English for Academic Purposes
Students, whose first language is not English, will be well prepared for success in Canadian universities upon completion of our EAP program.
With a focus on English for academic purposes, the core courses develop language proficiency in speaking, listening, reading, writing and grammar. You can also elect to take courses in vocabulary, pronunciation and business communications. The real TRU advantage is that you can take undergraduate courses while developing your English Language skills.
What our students say
The thing I like the most about TRU EAP program is the atmosphere of classes. The cheerful classes led my voluntary participation in class. The instructors were also enthusiastic in class; I felt their substantial responsibility. They always tried to give us a lot of knowledge in various areas. This program helped me to develop strong academic language skills. It was such an empowering experience to move forward with my further academic career.
Rosa Campos Diaz
Being part of ELLT has pushed me to put in my best efforts in many ways. When I first started taking ELLT classes, I met a lot of new people from all around the world who were as new to English as I was. I have taken three semesters of ELLT so far, and I have learned how to do a lot of things that I did not think I would be able to do. Everyone who is taking EAP speaks a different language, which makes English their second language like mine. For me as a Spanish speaker, I never knew how to speak English properly, and now ELLT has helped me improve my communication skills with the community and friends a lot. It also helped me to learn new things and improved my grammar, reading and writing skills. Overall, ELLT has changed my way of thinking. English is one of the most common languages in the world and learning it has made me happier to communicate with others, especially the people who have English as their first language.
Instead of the traditional learning way such as rote-learning, students were encouraged to participate in the real practices with their critical thinking in EAP courses. Furthermore, through cultural communication in EAP courses, I gained a deeper understanding of the language. My learning experience reflected that taking EAP courses would be the first step to know the new environment for each international student.
TRU is a great campus because of its warm atmosphere, its many student activities, and its welcoming and energetic people. Being part of the EAP program is a unique language experience which has allowed me to create connections with Canadian students as well as students from all over the world. Kamloops with about 90,000 people is a city full of life in the middle of a magnificent environment.
The TRU EAP advantage
- One of the few universities where you can take academic courses while taking ESAL courses.
- You can choose from ESAL electives and apply to receive certificates for each level of EAP completed.
- Small classes ensure you receive the support and attention needed to achieve your goals.
- Instructors take the time to learn your name and personalize instruction.
- You become part of a community that celebrates success.
- The Language Learning Center supports your learning by offering free tutoring and a welcome place to meet friends.
- Success is supported and celebrated with scholarships.
- The International Student Advisory Program assists students with pre-arrival information, housing, settlement, clubs and leisure activities.