Education and Social Work Menu
All courses (online and on-campus), are paced, which means they have fixed start and end dates. Start dates are in September, January and May, subject to availability and with some exceptions. Classes for on-campus courses are offered in the daytime and evenings, on weekends, and during the summer.
The program's instructors are drawn from a range of academic fields, including educational leadership, Indigenous education, curriculum development and theory, inclusive and special education, and K-12 school counselling.
The MEd has been designed for maximum choice by students — there are no streams, majors, minors, or specializations. In addition to completing the core courses, students select from elective courses.
A recent exciting development has been the addition of elective courses where you can learn about Indigenous knowledge, learning, and research. These Indigenous education special topics courses are found in the electives list below, under EDUC 5990. Watch our instructors talk about these courses here.
List of courses - 3-Year Schedule
The following list of courses and the three-year schedule of MEd courses is updated each June. We make every effort to adhere to the MEd courses schedule but retain the right to make adjustments to it, if necessary.
All core courses can be taken either on-campus or through distance (online through Open Learning). On-campus course numbers end in 0 and online/Open Learning courses end in 1.
- EDUC 5010 or EDUC 5011, Research Methods (3)
- EDUC 5020 or EDUC 5021, Philosophy and History of Education (3)
- EDUC 5030 or EDUC 5031, Curriculum, Teaching and Learning (3)
- EDUC 5040 or EDUC 5041, Diversity: Constructing Social Realities (3)
- EDUC 5400 or EDUC 5401, Principles and Processes of Educational Leadership (3)
- EDUC 5120, Assessment of Exceptionalities: Theory and Practice (3)
- EDUC 5130, Managing Multiple Systems: Policy and Practice (3)
- EDUC 5140, Literacy for Individuals with Exceptionalities: Theory, Research, and Practice (3)
- EDUC 5420 or EDUC 5421, Legal Issues in Education (3)
- EDUC 5440 or EDUC 5441, Understanding and Managing Conflict (3)
- EDUC 5460 or EDUC 5461, Educational Management (3)
- EDUC 5500 or EDUC 5501, Introduction to Counselling Skills (3)
- EDUC 5510 or EDUC 5511, Theories in Counselling (3)
- EDUC 5520 or EDUC 5521, Assessment and Evaluation in Counselling (3)
- EDUC 5550 or EDUC 5551, Introduction to Secondary School Counselling (3)
- EDUC 5560 or EDUC 5561, Career Counselling and Development (3)
- EDUC 5990, Special Topics: Learning from the Land: Pell7é7llqten (May) (3)
- EDUC 5990, Special Topics: Learning from the Land: Pelltemllík’ (September) (3)
- EDUC 5990, Special Topics: Learning from the Land: Pellkwe†́mín (January) (3)
- EDUC 5990, Special Topics: Learning through Indigenous Literature (3)
- EDUC 5990, Special Topics: Learning through Play (3)
- EDUC 5990, Special Topics: Indigenous Research Methods (3)
- EDUC 5990, Special Topics: Inquiry Across the Curriculum (3)
- EDUC 5990, Special Topics: Pedagogy of Compassion (3)
Online only (through Open Learning)
- EDDL 5101, Education Technology in the Curriculum (3)
- EDDL 5111, Introduction to Distributed Learning (3)
- EDDL 5131, Multimedia in the Curriculum (3)
- EDDL 5141, Online Teaching and Learning (3)
- EDDL 5151, Managing your Technology Classroom (3)
Please note the EDDL courses may be used as electives in the MEd program, with approval from the Program Coordinator. Email email@example.com for assistance with this.
Online MEd students are responsible for sourcing and/or ordering their own books. Please see the list of required textbooks here.
You may be able to order the text through the TRU Bookstore. Please note, if you choose to source your own textbooks, publishers may offer several package options that include additional resource material not required in your course. You may choose to purchase any package as long as it includes the correct author, title and edition listed for your course.
If you have any questions about obtaining the correct textbook, please contact OLMaterials@tru.ca.