Admission Requirements for Master of Education (MEd)
|Program Start Dates||Application Deadline|
|January 9, 2018 (limited intake)||October 14, 2017|
|September 2018||April 30, 2018|
- A four-year baccalaureate degree or equivalent, with a GPA of 3.00 (a grade of B) in the last 60 credits
- English language proficiency, as follows (for applicants who did not complete their undergraduate degree from an English language university):
- a minimum TOEFL score of 570 with a TWE of 4.5 or higher (paper-based test)
- a minimum TOEFL 230 with an Essay of 4.5 or higher (computer-based test)
- a minimum TOEFL (IBT) 88 with no section below 20
- IELTS of at least 6.5 with no bands below 6.5
- CAEL of at least 70 with no subtest below 60
- Successful completion (or exemption) of TRU's ESAL Level 5
- Official transcripts for all post-secondary education (in the original language and a certified copy in English) or a letter of permission (LOP) from the applicant's home institution
If you are interested in taking a few MEd courses without committing to the entire program, you can take up to seven online courses . As a non-program student, you must still meet the MEd admission requirements and cannot take the EDUC counselling and completion option courses.
To apply to the MEd program, students must submit the following (in addition to meeting the previously stated requirements):
- Apply online for the Master of Education
- The application fee
- Personal resume
- A statement of intent (approximately 350 words) addressing why you want to enter a graduate program at this time in your career; why this particular program appeals to you; what your vision is regarding goals to be reached by completing this degree
- Two letters of reference regarding your suitability for enrolment in and successful completion of a rigorous program of academic study at the graduate level that includes theory and practice associated with educational studies; your suitability to conduct research in an educational setting; your ability to work effectively as a member of a group of colleagues; and any other relevant information that can assist the selection committee
- Proof of graduation:approved bachelor degree
- Evidence of English language proficiency if your first language is not English
You must be enrolled in the program if you want to take any on-campus MEd courses.
Note: If you do not meet the four-year baccalaureate degree GPA minimum (but have a GPA 2.50 or higher) or English language proficiency requirements, you can apply to the Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies, which completes the qualifications you require for admission into the MEd program.
Please Contact us if you have any questions regarding admissions.