How to Register or Apply
This page walks you through the steps to register for a course or apply to a program. For course prerequisites, admission requirements, English language proficiency requirements and student conduct, see Before Registering for a Course.
- How to Register for a Course
- How to Apply to a Program
- Payment Processing
- Courses Delivered by UVic
- UBC Distance Courses
How to Register for a Course
- Select a course and read the course description to ensure you have the tools and prerequisites necessary to complete the course.
- Confirm course availability using the online tool or with Student Services. If you’re interested in a course that is not currently available, check back. Most courses are offered on a continuous basis and are available throughout the year, but some are paced, with set start and end dates.
- Review the course fees using the same online tool. General fee information is available at Tuition and Fees.
- Review academic regulations, including course registration, cancellation and course withdrawal policies, online or with Student Services.
- Note the application deadline and course start date, especially if the course is paced or delivered by UVic.
- Proceed to Register Now to select a payment and registration method (online, phone, mail or fax).
Note: If you have a documented disability and want to request services and/or accommodations, please contact Disability Services 12 weeks prior to your intended course start date.
How to Apply to a Program:
- Select a program and confirm its availability.
- Read the program requirements.
- Read OL's Admission guidelines.
- Refer to details about transfer credit and prior learning assessment and recognition (PLAR).
- Contact Student Services for program plans and educational advising.
- Review TRU Regulations and Policies.
- At Register Now, fill out and send the Program Admission Form.
- Email Student Services for information on sponsorship and scholarship procedures.
- Registrations are not processed until all course fees have been received.
- Payment is deposited on receipt.
- Payment is refunded for registrations not processed.
Courses Delivered by UVic
Course start dates for TRU OL courses delivered by the University of Victoria (UVic) are specific to the program area offering the course. Course start dates are given in the individual course descriptions. If none are listed, contact the program area at UVic. Courses offered are posted approximately two and a half months prior to the start of the session. Registration opens at that time. Registration deadlines apply. Space is limited and early registration is advised.
Course fees listed do not include textbooks or other course materials. Fees are subject to change without notice. Refer to information on tuition.
Course prerequisites and recommended requisites are specified in the course descriptions.
After registering, you receive an email from OL. You also receive an email from UVic about purchasing textbooks and other course materials from the UVic bookstore and accessing UVic's library resources.
UVic arranges exams for the courses it delivers. Refer to exam policies for more information.
To audit a course delivered by UVic, contact UVic.
Some OL courses delivered by UVic are available to students residing outside Canada. Contact the UVic program area.
Some OL courses delivered by UVic include face-to-face lab, classroom or field-trip components, which may require travel to UVic or a designated site. Contact the UVic program area.
UBC Distance Courses
OL students can register for a distance education course through UBC and have the application fee waived by applying through UBC Access Studies.
Students interested in taking a UBC course to complete a program offered through OL should first obtain approval from OL, register through UBC Access Studies, and then transfer the UBC credits to OL. Note that credits obtained in this way cannot be used to meet OL's residency requirements.
1-877-272-1422 (toll-free in Canada and US)