Competition for admission to the Veterinary Technology Open Learning program is extremely intensive and meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission into the program.
Please ensure you meet all the educational & other admission requirements before you proceed with your application.
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- English Studies 12 or English First Peoples 12 or equivalent, with a minimum of C+
- Foundations of Mathematics 11 or equivalent, with a minimum of C+
- Life Sciences 11 (formerly Biology 11) or equivalent, with a minimum of C+
- Strongly recommend Anatomy and Physiology 12 (formerly Biology 12) or BIOL 0600 as in the first semester students must have a working knowledge of animal anatomy to perform physical examinations including eye and ear exams on live patients, under the supervision of a clinical mentor. For patient safety, tasks such as understanding anatomical locations and basic physiology MUST be developed prior to the program to ensure student success.
Any pre-requisite courses in progress MUST be completed with an official transcript submitted before Nov. 1st of the year prior to the January start date.
- Proof of Canadian citizenship (copy of birth certificate or passport) or permanent resident status
- Completed Clinic Affiliation Package
- Validation form of working in a CVMA accredited mixed or small animal veterinary clinic for a minimum of 260 paid hours per semester.
- ClinicMentor(CM) Signature Package
- Health & Safety awareness form
- Fear Free Certification Form
- Consent Form for Online Classroom Activities
- Orientation Questionnaire (be thorough and detailed)
- Student Awareness Document
- Up-to-date vaccination record, including rabies
- Three reference forms (required)
- If educated in a country where English is not an official language – accepted English Language Proficiency test results
All required courses and admission documents must be completed and submitted by the application deadline.
The application process for TRU VTEC is not a first come, first serve system. Please take your time to fill out all documents thoroughly to ensure the application committee has a good understanding of your life and educational experiences.