Accounting Technician Diploma
Getting your accounting career started is easy as 1, 2, 3 with the Accounting Technician Diploma. Study part-time and online while keeping your work and life commitments intact.
The Accounting Technician Diploma program prepares you to work as a paraprofessional doing much of the support work for accountants in industry, private practice and government.
Use your diploma to expand your professional opportunities by laddering into the Bachelor of Commerce and eventually work toward the Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation.
Work independently or within a larger organization as a(n):
- Accounting technician
- Accounting assistant
- Accounts receivable clerk
- Payroll clerk
- Tax preparation assistant
When applying to this program, please complete a Program Admission Form.
Admission RecommendationsFoundations of Math 12 with a minimum C+, or equivalent
English 12/English 12 First Peoples with a minimum of 73%, or equivalent
A minimum of 9 TRU credits (distance or on-campus)
60 credits, with a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher; a grade of C- or better in all courses required to complete this credential, as follows:
- MATH 1071, Fundamentals of Mathematics for Business and Economics (3) or MATH 1101, Finite Mathematics (3)
- ENGL 1101, Introduction to University Writing (3)
- STAT 1201, Introduction to Probability and Statistics (3)
- ECON 1221, Introduction to Basic Economics (3) or ECON 1901, Principles of Microeconomics (3)
- CMNS 1291, Introduction to Professional Writing (3)
- MNGT 1711, Introduction to Business (3)
- ECON 1901, Principles of Microeconomics (3) or ECON 1951, Principles of Macroeconomics (3)
- FNCE 2121, Financial Management (3)
- ACCT 2211, Financial Accounting (3)
- ACCT 2251, Management Accounting (3)
- ACCT 2281, Accounting Software Systems (3)
- MKTG 2431, Marketing (3) or HRMN 2821, Human Resource Management (3)
- MIST 2611, Management Information Systems (3)
- ORGB 2811, Organizational Behaviour (3)
- BLAW 2911, Commercial Law (3)
- ACCT 3201, Intermediate Financial Accounting 1 (3)
- ACCT 3211, Intermediate Financial Accounting 2 (3)
- ACCT 3221, Income Taxation 1 (3)
- ACCT 3231, Income Taxation 2 (3)
- ACCT 3251, Intermediate Management Accounting (3)
Consult with your Program Advisor to ensure that the courses you select can be applied toward the program requirements of your chosen credential. Also, before you register in a course not listed on the OL website, you must apply for a letter of permission. Otherwise, you may find either that course credits cannot be applied to your program or that you must pay a transcript reassessment fee.