Advanced Certificate in Liberal Arts
The Advanced Certificate in Liberal Arts provides a foundation for lifelong learning in the liberal arts. It can be taken as part of a degree program. The emphasis is on third- and fourth-year (upper-level) courses.
Enjoy an opportunity to study in three designated arts and science areas: humanities (including English), social sciences and science.
Use credits from this program toward completing a degree, increasing employability, or simply enjoying the experience of university.
Some program requirements may be met with credits earned through prior learning assessment and recognition (PLAR).
A minimum of six TRU credits (distance or on-campus)
30 credits total of third- and fourth-year (upper-level) courses, with a GPA of 2.00 or higher over all courses required for this credential, as follows:
- Six upper-level credits in humanities (including English)
- Six upper-level credits in social science
- Three upper-level credits in science
- Fifteen credits of liberal arts electives, of which six credits may be first- and second-year (lower-level) courses and the remaining nine credits chosen from the following:
- BIOL 3431, Plants and People (3)
- ENVS 3991, Environmental Studies: Sustainability (3)
- GEOG 3991, Global Climate Change and Regional Impacts (3)
- HIST 3991, Environmental History (3)
- HUMN 3981, Issues in Latin American Studies (3)
- HUMN 3991, Issues in Science and Society (3)
- POLI 3991, Globalization and Its Discontents: The Politics of Economic Change (3)
- PSYC 3991, Psychology of Human Resilience (3)
- SOCI 3991, Sociology of Diversity: Issues for Canadians (3)
- VISA 3991, Cultural Theory and Images (3)
Consult with your program advisor to ensure that the courses you select can be applied toward the program requirements of your chosen credential.
Before you register in a course not listed on the OL website, you must apply for a letter of permission. Otherwise, you may find that either course credits cannot be applied to your program or you must pay a transcript reassessment fee.