Skip to main contentSkip Navigation or Skip to Content


What advice is available to help me decide which courses I should take to complete my TRU-OL program?

TRU-OL program advisors are available to help you plan your program. They can explain how the transfer credit awarded fits your particular program and help you select the courses you still need. Our Student Services team can put you in touch with the appropriate program advisor.

When can I start registering for courses? How do I register?

You can register for TRU-OL courses at any time if the course is open for registration. However, we recommend that students wait until they have received their program plans to ensure the course they are taking will fit into their programs. If you register in courses before receiving a program plan, you run the risk of duplicating work from previous education or choosing courses that don’t help you meet your program requirements.

If you ever wish to confirm that a course you have chosen can fit into your program before registering for the course, please ask your program advisor.

To register for courses, log-in to your myTRU account. The registration link is on the left-hand side on the Open Learning Student tab.

May I take courses at other institutions to complete my TRU-OL program?

Courses taken at other institutions can often be used to complete your program requirements, provided you get a Letter of Permission for each course you would like to take at another institution. In order to avoid choosing courses that don’t fit in your program, we expect that you will work with your program advisor who will issue the Letter of Permission for you.

Is it possible to complete a program on campus after partially completing the program by distance?

If you're interested in a TRU campus-based program, it’s possible to do so by completing an application for admission to the on-campus program. Work done at Open Learning and elsewhere will be assessed for credit in the on-campus program. Please refer to TRU campus admissions for more information.

Do I have to move to Kamloops for my residency requirements?

No, you don't. Residency requirements refer to courses taken through our institution. TRU-OL online courses count towards these requirements. TRU campus courses, UVic consortium courses listed on our website and PLAR credits also count towards the residency requirement.

How do I register for UVic courses?

Registration for UVic consortium courses listed on our course listings is the same as with other TRU-OL courses. These courses are paced courses that follow the traditional campus semesters.

How do I register for UBC courses?

TRU-OL students can register for a distance education course through UBC and have the application fee waived by applying through UBC Access Studies.

Students interested in taking UBC course to complete a program offered through TRU-OL should first obtain approval from TRU-OL, register through UBC Access Studies, and then transfer the UBC credit to TRU-OL. This credit cannot be used for TRU-OL's residency requirement.

Can I transfer credit earned at another institution to TRU-OL?

Once you apply for an OL program, your transcripts will be assessed for transfer credit. Our audit and articulation team carefully assess any transfer credits you may be bringing in. Some programs and courses do not qualify for transfer credit. These include courses that were not assigned credits at the home institutions, most continuing education courses, courses taken at institutions that are not part of the Canadian Association of Colleges and Universities, university preparatory courses, etc.

If you did not receive transfer credits for courses, programs, or any certification you have, you may be eligible for PLAR (Prior Learning Recognition and Assessment) credits and should email the PLAR advisor or phone 1.800.663.9711 ext. 6820.

If I complete a program delivered by TRU-OL, can I attend convocation on the TRU campus?

Yes, you may attend one of two convocations held at the Kamloops, BC campus annually in June and October. Which ceremony you attend will depend on when you submit your application to graduate and when your credential is completed and approved for graduation. Details, including application deadlines, can be found at

Is there a difference between an OL parchment and a TRU campus parchment?

All credentials earned by completing TRU-OL program requirements are issued by Thompson Rivers University and are the same as those earned through TRU's Kamloops campus.

What advice is available to help me decide which courses I should take to complete my TRU-OL program?
Search To Top